Bike stand and locking ideas for DH bike

Slow moe

Likes Dirt
Hi guys,
I'm looking to get a bike stand (just for storage) for my DH bike. It seems that almost all bike stands are not made to fit DH tyres (i currently run 2.7s).
Preferably, I would like something sturdy that I can bolt to the ground and lock my bike to. Even better if it will also fit my GF's hardtail as well.
Can anyone point me to someone who manufactures a suitable stand?
Without giving away too many details, how do people secure their bikes? I've thought about bolting a bracket to the slab of the shed but am also finding it difficult to find a product that appears to be strong enough to withstand any amount of leverage (after all, in the shed is also an assortment of tools).

Your ideas, to help me one day coming home to a very sad looking shed, will be appreciated.

cheers,

Slow moe

Urban DH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
run a solid ground anchor, ie a 6mm plate 200x200 concreted into the floor if you can, have a solid loop on the top, almost a half link of chain and from there run an en46 grade cable through the bikes, bigger the better! harder for bolt cutters! and a big f#$k off padlock and that should stop the theifs or at least cause them to make so much noise that you become awear of them and use a boring old crank stand or what ever you can be bothered to use to hold the bikes up

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Perhaps a little bit off topic, but still around not getting your nice bikes stolen.

I never ride around the local streets, ever. No one knows I have 20+K of bicycles in the back room. Especially not the housing commission scum down the road.

Otherwise I have a chain wrapped around a house stump and that goes through the frames, bars on that window and an external (but internal) door with a steel frame (got it free).

On the downside I'll probably forget to lock it or they get the tools from the garage and cut there way in. But I am confident when I am away for a weekend, it'll be too much hassle for them and they'll rob the neighbours house.

Shredden

Knows his goats
I have always viewed locks as a visual deterrent more than anything, my family is pretty disorganized and the amount of times I have been around when we lost keys and had to break into our own stuff pretty much destroyed my faith in locks and the like aha. Like once, me and dad broke a $30 padlock with vice grips. Another time, we broke into our fairly modern car using a piece of hubcap wire. If anyone really wants to get in and steal something, they will get it (good insurance :)). For starters, I live in town that is pretty quiet, everyone is pretty chilled and keeps an eye out for each other. My garage is under the house, and when I am asleep my head is about 2m from my bikes. We have a 4" thick structural steel pole in the middle of the shed, and I chain my 3 bikes (DH BMX and Moto) to it using a fucking massive chain that weighs around 30kgs for 2m with a kevlar sorta cover to stop scratching. Secured with a badass made-in-germany padlock that I bought for $75 dollars from ebay. Wrapped tight to make it hard to cut. 2 tool drawers also have massive ass locks on them. Everything else of value sleeps under my bed. Oh yeah, the massive barn doors have a huge ass lock on them, only way to get in short of an angle grinder would be to smash the doors down with a car or something.

Dont even bother with bike locks. I paid $65 for one from a shop in the city that felt really solid and had a cable about 1/2" thick. Lost the key, maneuvered my bike down to lay flat, put the locking barrell on flat concrete between my feet. Got a crowbar, drove it down into it and it smashed into tiny little pieces.

skwiz05

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ive got a couple of GripSport floor racks bolted to my garage floor, that I lock my bikes to, and they will take fat tyres (2.7s on DH)......
I'd highly recommend them for the OP to look in to....

Ja-Mez

Likes Dirt
im one for a concreted anchor....
Most locks are visual aids as said before... best way to prevent you from suffering from theives is insure the bike.. only way to guarantee you wont be bikeless!

Last edited:

Urban DH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
a common seen i'm seeing here, great and all that the bikes are locked up but umm, tools redily accessable? really? that just seems a bit, lazy? or i dont know a bit of a help your self attitude, anyway, as said, lock them to something solid and unbreakable (like a support pillar for your house or a wall stud) and just keep tools locked up and away from prying eyes, and as said if no one knows they're there thats a very very good start, my tools are all in locked tool boxes, in a locked what is essentialy a concret bunker under the house (shed is under the house and have excavated under the rest of the house, best idea ever!) and then the bikes are in another locked bunker under the house, so its a locked roller door, into a shed, another set of steel doors that are again locked into under the house, and from there another steel door with a fark off lock into a concrete room, and no its not just for the bike have a big universal mill and a 12' lathe and all the tools to match under there along with loads of tools and other machinery so the security is my insurance!

ANYWAYS the point is chances are you'll be with your bikes at home 90% of the time and the idea is just the make it a) too much effort to steal, b) so heavily locked that to steal them they would make so much noise you notice or c) just make them unstealable or d) all of the above

Slow moe

Likes Dirt
Thanks guys, it's always good to hear some other ideas. Skwiz05 has made me feel like a complete idiot - I own a gripsport car rack and the thought that they may sell crank holders as stands never crossed my mind. Will be ordering a couple shortly (love my gripsport rack).
As for an anchor point to chain to... any ideas where to get something heavy duty? I've tried good old bunnings but they didn't have anything I'd feel confident locking my bike to. Unfortunately my bike is just in a tin carport so nothing too solid in the structure to lock it to. Was hoping to dynabolt an anchor point to the floor and then angle grind the heads down so spanners won't fit.

skwiz05

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Heres a pic of the Grip floor rack ( I have 2x 4 position racks ) but they come in as many positions as you want.......Just dynabolt to floor, weld over the nuts for extra security....

Attachments

Trigger02

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Heres a pic of the Grip floor rack ( I have 2x 4 position racks ) but they come in as many positions as you want.......Just dynabolt to floor, weld over the nuts for extra security....
So that is 1 wheel secured from theft.

I just leave my bike inside the house, Not even in the secure lock up garage.