Bike storage and suspension fluid?

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Hi All,
Just pulled apart my forks on my giant xtc 29er. Now the forks haven't been behaving correctly for a while and what I found was that the fluid from the Spring-side-side oil bath had moved from the lower leg of the fork into the air chamber efectively making the forks more progressive.
Now the question is, I store my bikes hanging vertical from the garage wall is this the cause of the leakage or is just a factory screw up?

skwiz05

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Its not normal for oil to progress from the lowers, up into the spring (its under pressure). More likely, the oil was all ready in the air spring piston tube for lubrication of the piston.

Oil often goes from the compression side, past seals to the lowers though.

What model fork?

T-Rex

Template denier
Fox F32 29RL
There's your problem.

This is normal behaviour for Fox, caused by the shape of the air chamber seal, which works the oil from the lowers into the air chamber as the piston cycles up and down. It's not caused by storage. Periodically you need to empty the oil out of the air chamber and top up the lowers.

There was a thread kicking around a couple of weeks ago that discussed this in detail.

Edit: Here's the thread: http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?236981-15wt-oil-in-Fox-32-forks-using-less-oil-to-prevent-ramping

Last edited: