Bike storage

So the good old days of living with my parents and being able to store my stuff under the house have come to an end, and now I need to store my bikes in the apartment I'm living in. I think I'm gonna have to store them on the balcony since they don't really belong inside. I was hoping for some advice on how best to store them. At the moment, they're on the balcony, under a tarp. Putting a tarp over them is all I can do to protect them from the elements.

I don't want them to get rusty or anything, so any advice on this would be helpful.

Cheers

chewbacca450

Likes Bikes
I like it indoors

4 bicycles inside and a wr450 in the outside guest bedroom.
Inside is the only way to go. I have work stand and workbench with shadow board all set up.
It allows working on bikes between eBay and rotorburn.
If I'm doing a bike ride from home I carry a couple of bucks. Wash bike on the way home.and it's dry by the time I wheel it inside.

Last edited:

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Inside for me too, 4 complete on some hanging stand thingys and 2 in bits, Couldn't imagine them outside (did have them all on the balcony for a couple of weeks when living in brisbane, but was on the 41st floor so I don't think they were going to get nicked and was pretty sheltered. Bikes belong inside where you can love them, unless you have a good garage.

redbruce

Eats Squid
Inside for me too, 4 complete on some hanging stand thingys and 2 in bits, Couldn't imagine them outside (did have them all on the balcony for a couple of weeks when living in brisbane, but was on the 41st floor so I don't think they were going to get nicked and was pretty sheltered. Bikes belong inside where you can love them, unless you have a good garage.

Looks like my dinning room. We have 8 bikes in there and two in the carport, ready for a run up to the shops.

Seems I'm not alone. Visitors generally give strange looks the first time they see it.

Out of curiosity, which vertical racking do you prefer?

dain2772

Likes Bikes and Dirt
maybe if you can get a moisture proof fully enclosed bag?
just an idea..

eg.
View attachment 271984
just make sure it is dry before it goes in or ventilated.

I always had 2-3 bikes in the apartment when I was in an apartment. Wash and dry on the balcony and voila! The walls in the stairwell always had tyre marks on them, but never got caught.

wembas

Likes Dirt
only Kmart bikes deserve to be kept outside. Bring them in where they can be warm and cozy....

0psi

Eats Squid
Be careful of tyres on carpet, good idea to some cardboard under them.... tyres can stain after a while.
I just got a cheapie tarp from the $2 shop to put under the bike rack.

And yes, unless your balcony is massive and 30 stories up then bikes belong inside.

rider124

Likes Bikes and Dirt
man i gotta show this thread to my mother. she cant understand why i keep my bike inside and pressures me to put it out.:crazy:

teK--

Eats Squid
Road bikes go inside the study/exercise room, MTBs in the garage.

We bought some foam matting squares from Bunnings which have a felt carpeted sort of finish on them, to catch any light dirt or water which may drip onto the carpet.

20130113_152649.jpg

20130330_115520.jpg

John U

MTB Precision
Bikes inside unless you have cosy, secure, shed to store them in. Mine were inside until I needed to make space for kids in the house. They were them moved the nice cosy and secure shed.

Just make sure it's bone dry before you bag it.......otherwise it'll sweat like a hooded rapist.

My steed has the entire second bedroom to itself.
Well thanks for all those remarks. Where do you get one of those bags?

There really isn't anywhere to keep the bikes inside without pissing off my flatmate, and we've got a huge balcony that's secure (7th floor, and the bikes aren't visible from the road). I figure as long as they're under cover and not in direct sunlight, then there should be no difference between inside storage and outside storage. If they were in a moisture prof bag, that would go a long way to prevent rust.

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looks like my dinning room. We have 8 bikes in there and two in the carport, ready for a run up to the shops.

Seems I'm not alone. Visitors generally give strange looks the first time they see it.

Out of curiosity, which vertical racking do you prefer?
Yeah, the silvery arch one is now where the black one was, and that one is now in the lounge room, bikes of most use get easier access :)

Prefer... well I'd say the black one (name escapes me) its very solid, the only issue i have with it, while the GT's fit, the fixed solid arms weren't the most compatible with the triple triangle designs (would foul with the rear brake cables and I could see dramas happening), but works a treat with my new road bike.
The delta one is easy to fit stuff on, but is very...springy/flexy. The arms can move, not a problem 95% of the time, but they could move enough, often enough to tilt stuff all over the place and once drop the bike, so just had to be careful placing bike on it... admittedly it was half the price of the other one.