Bike Suggestions

Gday guys. I have had a search but I couldnt find what I was after. I am looking at getting a bike that I can ride around the town and get from A-B because riding around on a DH rig just kills me. I am after a decent bike however nothing too expensive around $800 maybe less. I will be looking at second hand bikes for sure.

Now I originally was looking at a dj/street bike but I thought this would be unnecessary as I am not that into jumps. I have recently considered a 4x bike as it would be something good that I can ride around, looks cool, will go off road with ease and will be able to take some jumps and other rough stuff if the opportunity arises. I am looking at getting a hardtail as I have no need for a dually and a ht is cheaper.

I'm not after 100 different people going "My bike is good and for sale buy it" or "Get this. This one is cool as." I just want some suggestions of what sort of bike to look at. I have no idea of whats on the market so I am just after some suggestions. I know what I am wanting and what I could probably get are two very different things but hopefully you kind fellows can shed some light on what I should be looking at.

A very big thanks in advance.

Pete.