Bikes Damaged in Car Accident - Insurance?

BIGAT

Squid
Hi everyone,

First time post here. Long time lurker although just created an account.

I was driving home from work earlier when i was rear ended in my ute. Cars pretty much fine, however i had two bikes over my tailgate pad at the time. Both front wheels are stuffed to say the least. Certainly up for one new wheel and one MAY be able to be trued out.

Now i am wondering, what is the legalities here? Will insurance be fine in paying for the repairs? Am i better off going down the private path for the repair of these? Is there a technicality where i will be left to pick up the costs?

The more damaged wheel is on a Merida Big Seven 100 (easy enough to get replaced). The other damaged wheel is off an old school roadie i picked up the other day. Its approximately from the seventies era. Has an ambrisio rim. As far as im aware, its pretty high end for the day. Could be more of a hassle having to source a new rim get it laced etc

Thank you for your replies. Cheers

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Ring your insurance company. They might tell ya to eat a bag.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

BIGAT

Squid
Ring your insurance company. They might tell ya to eat a bag.

Yearly payments on my car would equal the value of it (live by the bike worth more than your car rule, ride a lappy...). So will either be dealing with the guy directly or his insurance.

Cheers

Travis22

Likes Dirt
Unless you have individual insurance policies taken out on your bikes, your vehicle insurence generally speaking wont cover them. You'll have to check your policy and see if you can get lucky most vehicle policies have a pretty small amount of cover for 'extra's' in the vehicle during an accident ie. $200-500 cover. You'd need to make a claim, pay the excess which might not be worth it at the end of the day.

Certainly ask the question and see what you can get out of the other party first. Sorry to hear of the accident, my worst neightmar every time i take a pushy out on the back of our cars!

Travis.

Mica

Likes Dirt
Not sure what I'm missing here but if you were rear ended it's the others guys fault and responsibility to make right by you. Correct?

If his insurance doesn't cover it then it's up to him to pay from his own pocket otherwise legal proceedings follow for damages/costs incurred. I'd be getting replacement quotes and sending them on.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not sure what I'm missing here but if you were rear ended it's the others guys fault and responsibility to make right by you. Correct?

If his insurance doesn't cover it then it's up to him to pay from his own pocket otherwise legal proceedings follow for damages/costs incurred. I'd be getting replacement quotes and sending them on.
Agreed, AFAIK the minimum insurance beyond compulsory 3rd party AFAIK is 3rd party property (your car, bike and whatever else), then 3rd party fire and theft, then full comprehensive i.e. if they are insured at all beyond the compulsory insur, then you as the 3rd party have your property covered by their insurance and should be sweet.

I'm not sure if their insurance liaises with your insurance company, or you personally. It can't hurt to call your insurance company anyway to get their advice.

If it came down to going after them personally, and if it's only a few hundred, it unfortunately may not be worth the effort and cost involved unless you have lawyer friends.

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
It is the responsibility of the insurer of the at fault party to rectify the situation. Excess is payable when you make an at fault claim. From what I understand you should talk to your insurer and they will liaise with the other party's insurer.

Mail Man

Likes Dirt
It is the responsibility of the insurer of the at fault party to rectify the situation. Excess is payable when you make an at fault claim. From what I understand you should talk to your insurer and they will liaise with the other party's insurer.
This is correct. Go to your insurer and they will deal with it. You will get a payout much faster than if you wait for his insurer. Your insurance will pay you then sue his insurance for a refund. You are happy and your insurance is happy.

mark22

Likes Dirt
I would be going after the other guy directly, first and leave the insurers out of it as he is at fault.

Insurers generally have a no fault clauses and may not increase your premium however upon getting any new policy/changing insurer when you will be asked by the insurer "have you had a claim in the last 5 years" and you will be penalised whether it is a no fault claim or not.

redbruce

Eats Squid
I would be going after the other guy directly, first and leave the insurers out of it as he is at fault.

Insurers generally have a no fault clauses and may not increase your premium however upon getting any new policy/changing insurer when you will be asked by the insurer "have you had a claim in the last 5 years" and you will be penalised whether it is a no fault claim or not.
Had many no fault (car) claims over the years, as well as insurance jumping. This has not been my experience with majors over many years, with multiple cars.

If the other guy is decent, and would rather not go through his insurance, may be successful, so give it a go first.

More likely though you will end up making a claim on his insurance, and that is best facilitated through your own.

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
any new policy/changing insurer when you will be asked by the insurer "have you had a claim in the last 5 years" and you will be penalised whether it is a no fault claim or not.
I recently insured a vehicle, most insurers asked about at fault claims rather than claims in general. Being at fault is what elevates your potential risk.

mark22

Likes Dirt
Had many no fault (car) claims over the years, as well as insurance jumping. This has not been my experience with majors over many years, with multiple cars.

If the other guy is decent, and would rather not go through his insurance, may be successful, so give it a go first.

More likely though you will end up making a claim on his insurance, and that is best facilitated through your own.
That's defiantly not been my experience, haven't had a at fault claim for 25 years but have been penalised because of a no fault head on which wrote of both vehicles.
Then tried shopping around for other insurance during the next 5 years and got some expensive quotes because of the no fault claim which the insurers were up front about much to my disgust.
Reminds me why I really hate insurance companies grrr.:frusty:

BIGAT

Squid
Thanks for everyones help. Currently in discussion with the other guy (when he bothers to reply grrrr). Next challenge is finding a non butted 15 gauge spoke.

Cheers

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yo, good to hear. Unless you have confirmed you will/will not get pinged by your insurance company and are acting based on that advice, doing a deal with him on the side is doing him a favour, not you. Therefore, respectfully, you may be at risk of getting fcked over.

I suggest you give him a hard cut off to reply and resolve it or you toss it to the insurance company and they will be pretty effective at extracting the excess & costs from him. Be crystal clear, if you do respond by xx/12/16 XX.XX am/pm with resolution to my satisfaction I will lodge my claim via insurance company, whom you will soon be hearing from. And don't hesitate to follow through if & when it happens, after which you will almost certainly get a response, ha.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Yo, good to hear. Unless you have confirmed you will/will not get pinged by your insurance company and are acting based on that advice, doing a deal with him on the side is doing him a favour, not you. Therefore, respectfully, you may be at risk of getting fcked over.

I suggest you give him a hard cut off to reply and resolve it or you toss it to the insurance company and they will be pretty effective at extracting the excess & costs from him. Be crystal clear, if you do respond by xx/12/16 XX.XX am/pm with resolution to my satisfaction I will lodge my claim via insurance company, whom you will soon be hearing from. And don't hesitate to follow through if & when it happens, after which you will almost certainly get a response, ha.
What he said ^^^^

Had an issue with a fuckwit that backed into my 2 week old car. While on the phone, he managed to back into my car while trying to reverse into a park while I was sitting on a park bench watching him.
After 2 attempts at clearly ramming his shit box (with towbar) into the front of my car, he pleaded poverty and begged not to go through insurance.
Turns out old mate was a fucktard.... took weeks of him being a cock and evasive little prick to part with any cash outside of his insurance. In my mind, waiting for your payday is no excuse for leaving people hanging for money you owe them.

Threats were the only option.....