Biking and making babies (not at the same time)

dain2772

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just been reading some articles about riding and effects on the little swimmers. Some said that heat was a problem, others that vibrations on mountain bikes could be an issue, others just the usual pressure on the soft bits.

So, has anyone read properly into the issue, had advice from doctors or other professionals and can spread any more light? Has anyone got off the bike for a period to get the job done?

I figure it can't be too big an issue, judging by the numbers of dads on here, but I am interested in hearing what other people think/know.

the_beast

Likes Dirt
dude i try and ride every day and i have been doing this for the last few years and i have got 3 kids. so i think it might be not so right.

rone

Eats Squid
I think the problem is more pronounced for road riders as they tend to sit in one saddle position for extended periods and this can restrict blood flow more than mtber's who as a rule tend to shift around in the saddle more. I have no evidence to back this up other than 2 little boys - one and three.

I use a Specialized BG saddle on one bike and a Selle Italia on the others but I have experimented with lots of different saddles. I don't get on with Fiziks but others swear by them. It's a tricky subject because it would depend on hours in the saddle, riding style, discipline, size of your nads etc. but when we started trying for our second kid the missus was pregnant within 2 months, so I must be doing something right.

So in conclusion, buggered if I know:D

Christo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I always thought the issue with blood flow was more about erectile dysfunction than fertility.

I ride mostly road now days (necessity not choice - I'd rather be off road!) - about 300km per week & I've had no issues erectile or fertile - we've conceived first try for our first and the one on the way at the moment, I use Specialized BG saddles on both roadies BTW.

There are many more variables anyway, blood type, diet, stress level to name a few, eliminate them and then if you can't conceive, start worrying about your saddle.

wrk_sux

Squid
I believe its heat, but I cant remember if it was heat that was a factor in infertillity or just having predominatly girls or boys

csd

Likes Dirt
I ride to and from work everyday, and on the weekends and I've had no trouble :p

Hugor

Likes Dirt
Impotence and infertility does affect many cyclists.
Its an individual thing dependant on your particular anatomy, and basically where your weight is loaded.
If you're on the wrong saddle you will compress blood vessels and nerves going to your privates. In the long run this can lead to permanent damage to these.
Certainly if you get numbness on long rides you are on the wrong saddle for you.
The first time I noticed it I stopped for a pee and couldn't believe it when I couldn't feel the thing. I've never had it on singletrack as you're constantly moving around, but on long fireroad training rides it used to be a problem.
I now use Selle SMP (Save My Penis) saddles which are designed to offload the areas where your nerves and blood vessels run.
They are the only saddle recommended by the American College of Urologists.
It has worked for me but they are not cheap. Mine was $275.
There are lots of other saddles which try to do the same thing also.
Just because a particular saddle works for one person doesn't mean it will work for you.
If your worried get a proper saddle fitting.

mittagongmtb

Likes Dirt
Certainly if you get numbness on long rides you are on the wrong saddle for you. The first time I noticed it I stopped for a pee and couldn't believe it when I couldn't feel the thing. I've never had it on singletrack as you're constantly moving around, but on long fireroad training rides it used to be a problem.
That's one reason why I also pulled out of the scott24 as solo this year. Found the perineum was taking too much of a pounding. Maybe a new saddle is called for.

Lanky Love

Likes Dirt
Ive posted this somewhere else on rotorburn I think, the Y chromosome (only found in males) is more fragile than the X chromosome. So people who do activities where the beans cop a bit, tend to have damaged Y chromosomes. This means that you are more likely to have a girl If you have childeren. I was told this by a biology teacher by the way.

In terms of what discipline is the worst for your nads, I find XC to be the worst in terms of getting pain. You gerenerly get pain after sitting down too fast, or while down low, just above the seat in bumpy sections. Then as you pedal it gets worse. But on a road bike, the initial cause of pain isn't really there so it never gets that bad.