Billion Router Issue

mtb1611

Seymour
Greetings.
Managed to pick up a Billion router very cheap, given that our stock standard Telstra modem is a bit of a dog. Connection is fine (old modem still works) but I can't get the Billion to connect; green DSL light, red internet light. I'm something of a ludite when it comes to setups, any suggestion or tips would be greatly appreciated! Cheers.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I can't get the Billion to connect; green DSL light, red internet light. I'm something of a ludite when it comes to setups, any suggestion or tips would be greatly appreciated! Cheers.
I would guess without knowing more of the Billion model itself that green means the DSL line sync is good but the red is that the username / password combo is failing. Try a factory reset if you haven't already as a precaution.

http://au.billion.com/products/usermanual.html

Some models also have a quick start guide.

Can you also reach the modem via a cable from your PC or wifi as yet?

mtb1611

Seymour
I would guess without knowing more of the Billion model itself that green means the DSL line sync is good but the red is that the username / password combo is failing. Try a factory reset if you haven't already as a precaution.

http://au.billion.com/products/usermanual.html

Some models also have a quick start guide.

Can you also reach the modem via a cable from your PC or wifi as yet?
Thanks Mr C. Can reach the modem via wifi from my macbook (login using the generic username and password) and go through the configuration process but it just won't take.

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
Similar thing recently. I had no idea. Instructions were non existent. Lazmo did his best to tell me through it, but had to get a nerd mate to drop over. Much harder than I imagined or it should be :rant:

stirk

Burner
In the encapsulation config do you have PPPoe or PPoa selected?

Most ISP use both but some may only support one or the other.

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
What's the model number of the modem?

Can you see anywhere in the modem settings that mentions logs? Sometimes under a 'Status' section. If it's logging connection attempts there may be messages in there that say what's failing.

Very much sounds like incorrect username and password details entered for your ISP - logs would help to confirm that.

mtb1611

Seymour
Can't find a model number ANYWHERE on the unit. Only info is 3G/4G LTE Wireless-N ADSL2+/Fibre Broadband Router.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
When logged onto the modem via wifi, you should be able to see the model number from one of the menus.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
When logged onto the modem via wifi, you should be able to see the model number from one of the menus.
That will be it. The Billion front page / Status screen should have it. Mine is below.
Otherwise it should be printed on top or underneath the modem itself.

BillionStatus.jpg

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Yep found it, thanks, Billion 7800NXL.
Super.

The manual is here for reference.
http://au.billion.com/downloads/usermanual/wireless/BiPAC_7800_N_X_L__FM_2.23_UM_1_02.pdf

Page 12 mentions the red internet led means IP failure. Let's assume username & password for now since you won't get an IP address until you are authenticated. The easy sign on EZO thing on page 35 should help with the DSL settings.

DSL usually uses VPI:8/VCI:35 here and put your full username@<yourisp.com or whatever it is>. Your ISP sign on details should have all of this when you applied for the service. The PPPoE/PPPoA shouldn't matter for now, so leave PPPoE as it is generally the default. Change the minimal on the DSL side and give it shot.

The Billion status page should give a quick heads up for what it is doing or not doing :)

mtb1611

Seymour
Ok.....the internet light is now green, however no network associated with the router can be found. As a result I can no longer access the EZSO page (unsure how I do that) and can't successfully complete the config process.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Ok.....the internet light is now green, however no network associated with the router can be found. As a result I can no longer access the EZSO page (unsure how I do that) and can't successfully complete the config process.
You are getting somewhere :)

Do you have the laptop connected to both the existing modem and the new billion at the same time? I'm wondering if there is some conflict there and you are trying the reach the Billion but the connection is going to your current Telstra modem? Maybe turn off the Telstra modem to remove it from the picture and see if you can reach the Billion again. Dirsconnect and reconnect your wifi to the Billion.

What does it say on the Status -> Summary screen? See page 47 of the manual. This should list the DSL/WAN status and local LAN/WiFi address?

stirk

Burner
Doesn't sound like he can connect to the modem anymore!

Reset and start again, the whole process is quick.

What's the ISP?

Most use PPPoa and PPPoe but I had to use PPPoa to connect to Telstra, could have been a quirk of my local exchange.

My modem config actually lets you choose either for most big ISP but for smaller ones it's selective to one or the other, mostly PPPoe.

Last edited:

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Doesn't sound like he can connect to the modem anymore!
It must have worked earlier, so I'm guessing that the laptop is pointing to the old modem.
It isn't easy fiddling with these things at the best of times.

Most use PPPoa and PPPoe but I had to use PPPoa to connect to Telstra, could have been a quirk of my local exchange.

My modem config actually lets you choose either for most big ISP but for smaller ones it's selective to one or the other, mostly PPPoe.
PPPoA is supposed to be a bit more efficient since it uses less overheads than PPPoE. Might have made a bigger difference when 1.5Mbps ADSL1 was in fashion. As you say, both are supported.

PPP protocol was what was originally used for dial up to negotiate the link between the customers modem and the upstream ISP's L2/L3 router. PPPoE and PPPoA are similar except one is designed to terminate on an 'E'thernet switch/router and other to an 'A'TM node that are commonly used in DSL backhaul networks. They just bolted the old PPP on top of the newer Ethernet/ATM transport networks to keep it simple. PPP's grandfather would be the early IBM SDLC link protocol from the 70's :wacko: