Bio-reactive glass bone implants

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
This could prove very handy for us MTB'er and our regularly broken bones...

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/sc...plant-that-grows-new-bone-20130826-2sll1.html

Wish I has it when I did my collar-bone last year - better than a plate and 11 bloody screws which may in the future cause all sorts of issues...
Wowsers, thats an interesting development.
May I ask, what issues do you expect from you r plate and screws? The reason I ask is because I have the exact same amount of on my collarbone as of May this year.

Brooksy007

Likes Dirt
My surgeon told me to expect possible future restricted movement, and potentially extensive arthritus, however it may have been linked to the exact nature of my break...

The last 2-2.5 inched of the outside (shoulder) end of mine was pretty much shattered...

All I've been advised to do is regular stretching/exercise, and calcium, magnesium and Vit. D3 supplements - although he wouldn't promise that any of this would have any real effect?!

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Sheesh, how long ago was your surgery? Mine was in early May and I have full strength and full movement. It's tender to touch in a few spots where it is calcifying and so far I think the only issue I'm getting is some muscle resistance when I do an action like overarm swimming. Other than that, I'm so happy with the result as it was five pieces of bone all manged out.

Brooksy007

Likes Dirt
I did mine on 1st of December, at the King Lake VDHS Round. I have similar pain/tweeking with overhead actions, and no way I'd say I have full strength. It seems to have held up well in riding tho, inlcuding a couple of decent offs.

That said, it has effected my confidence, and as such I'm not pushing the speed as much as I used to. Probably a good thing given my age (36) and the fact we tend to have full-time jobs to return to on Monday at our age...

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I see, gotcha. I've told myself I'll be going a little slower and just enjoying downhill without doing everything at warp speed. As good as things are now, I do not want to do this again so I'll do my best to avoid any tumbles. I hope your's mends 100%.