Bionicon "Up and Down bike technology"

GoingDHfast

Likes Dirt
Anyone heard of these guys? Apparently their design is licensed to a few manufacturers right now and is basically a switch which adjusts both the front and rear travel of a bike at once?

Sounds pretty cool to me, but I dont know about real world usefullnes.

http://www.bionicon.com

GoingDHfast

Likes Dirt
hahaha this quote cracks me up, its even better out of context

"As you can see on the following image, our bike behaves like the animal above and we are not some freaks who think that there is need for another innovation without any use."

cheese

Likes Dirt
Yeah it looks pretty cool, but so many companies claim their bikes can be ridden downhill like a DH race bike and uphill like a trail bike, you cant help but be skeptical. Dont knock it till you try it though, I wouldnt mind a ride.

mtb_man

Likes Dirt
MBAction tested one of those bikes and declared it the best trail bike they had ever ridden (whatever their opinion is worth...)

I don't normally agree with MBA on anything but as a picky person who likes the right geometry for everything, the idea has definite promise.

Registered Nutcase said:
seems pretty cool, but why you you need more rear travel for going up the hill?
More rear travel means a steeper seat tube and head angle and a lower front end which gives you much better climbing.

Last edited:

Red Rocket

Likes Bikes and Dirt
mtb_man said:
More rear travel means a steeper seat tube and head angle and a lower front end which gives you much better climbing.

Actually I think that the stroke of the shock, and consequently the rear wheel travel remains constant, but the shock extends to aid geometry. I would be suprised if the uphill mode actually increased travel as well as geometry.

mtb_man

Likes Dirt
Yeah you're probably right. I couldn't remember exactly what the review said in that regard but I think that you're on the money with the shock extending rather than increasing travel.

Christo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah, kind of interesting..

Is it just me or did the one in MBAction have messy welds?

And I reckon MBAction is the best mag out there...

Ben-e

Captain Critter!
Thats very cool...

A while back, i spoke to someone who was trying to develop a self-adjusting travel system whereby an electronic level would detect the pitch of the bike and make the necessary adjustments, i.e. stiffen the suspension for climbing etc. Design never took-off though...