Bit the bullet. Back from NZ Update.

• Thread starter Deleted member FN2187
  • Start date
D

Deleted member FN2187

*Warning* dirty words imminent.
I looked for reliable info(not commercial reviews) on Manitou Mattoc forks ever since they were released. I've seen a few people on here and elsewhere asking the same thing. I know a lot of people will agree with me that before Manitou started doing that Stance and Travis bullshit, Shermans were the definition of reliability and plushness. I still have a set of 2003 Nixons kicking about. I stopped using them 3 years ago and now the're on my mates kids Stinky 24 getting thrashed down at Thredbo on the reg! So understandably I have a massive soft spot for the brand. With that in mind I decided to buck the norm, break free from the flock, be somewhat of a freethinking individual. So I thought "Fuck it" I'm going to buy a Mattoc and give Y'all a proper, honest review. I expect to see them early next week.
I'm going to piss a lot of people off here but I have always hated the feel of FOX forks. Maybe it's because I'm rather heavy. 10 months on a set of 34's was enough to confirm it. Prior to that the Rockshox Lyric RC2DH was one of the best feeling long travel single crown forks I'd ever used. Pikes were on the cards for a while, but they're dildo forks, every C**ts got one. I actually have a bike boner for the new Marzocchi 350 forks. Marz has had their plushness game on point since 2008. But 'THEFUCK' Marzocchi??? They ignore the fact that there are a literal fuckton of long travel 26" needing a new gen set of aftermarket forks, 27.5 only?!!!. Very disappointing. I not might be on the trendy wheel size but I'll be damned if 99% of the newfangled 27.5 and 29ers are better trail bikes than my SB66c.
I'll be riding them around Canberra, Thredbo and an upcoming 2 week holiday in Rotarua/Queenstown. So We'll have a pretty broad test area with a variety of terrain. I'm really looking forward to fucking around with the settings and seeing if the web reviews are telling any Fibs. Stay tuned.....

Last edited by a moderator:

aanon

Likes Dirt
Pikes were on the cards for a while, but they're dildo forks, every C**ts got one.

Marz has had their plushness game on point since 2008.
Dildo forks, ha ha , wait for the backlash on that one.
Marz had their plushness game on point with the first Z1 bomber in the late 90's.
My bro has some old Shermans still going strong on an old shitter bike, keen to see how your Mattoc goes.

moorey

call me Mia
I agree with basically everything you say.
Fox can smoke me.
Pikes are common as muck (but, having bought a set, I say that for a change, 'everyone ' is right). I went White, to buck the trend.
Lyriks are still a favourite. Dual air older revs for trail work.
Marz feel great, but not impressed with mates 2 new sets plagued with problems...but what you mean no 26"? 55's?
Good manitou are as good as anything out there. Had 2 sets of nixons, awesome fork.

Mattocs are a fork I'm definitely keeping an eye on. Going to be hard to outdo my pikes for feel though.

Z

Zaf

I keep eyeing those new DVO's with a fair bit of lust.

I still have my Marzocchi 55CR that I had on originally for my SB66, but had issues with them and haven't been bothered to get them fixed since going to the Pike. The build quality on the Zoke's is great, and they look the part, but the damper lost all small bump compliance, felt almost as if the low speed compressions was ramped ALL the way up, ALL the time. Took a solid hit to wake the fork up and then it was quite progressive.

Keeping an eye on Mattocks, I almost bought a pair of the 26" versions of them when I was originally buying my SB66 alloy, but went for the Zokes and later regretted it.

D

Deleted member FN2187

Marz feel great, but not impressed with mates 2 new sets plagued with problems...but what you mean no 26"? 55's?
Nah, I meant the new 2015 350's. I did consider a set of 55 RC3 Evo Ti's. They're really cheap now the chassis has been updated by the 350.

Marz had their plushness game on point with the first Z1 bomber in the late 90's.
Whoops, My bad. I had a set of 2002 Z1 AM's that were incredible. I guess my point was that Marz didn't have much going on in comparison to the other brands in the trail bike market before 2008. 2005 z1's were basically a long travel DJ1. Great big hit performance, not much trail sensitivity. 66's are certainly not a trail fork. Most probably because Marz threw their entire marketing campaign behind Freehucking. Also I probably didn't consider early to mid 2000's Marzocchis for the poor build quality of everything less than their Freehucker forks. Snapped crown anyone?

Rhys_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ordered my set last night. In red, of course. Pretty pumped..don't let us down Manitou!

moorey

call me Mia
Yogi, the older Z1 were a different kettle of fish. I had 99 Z1 bam's, they were in a whole different league of plushness and awesomeness.

D

Deleted member FN2187

Ordered my set last night. In red, of course. Pretty pumped..don't let us down Manitou!
I ordered Red too. Red FTW. Of course the obsessive compulsive child in me ordered a matching red saddle and grips. Did I just say that out loud.

Rhys_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
They wont...
Hoping not. Still a bit wary with Manitou

I ordered Red too. Red FTW. Of course the obsessive compulsive child in me ordered a matching red saddle and grips. Did I just say that out loud.
Haha oh dear. What travel are you going to run yours at? The option to go 170mm is awesome, would be great for overseas action. Crazy light fork for that sort of travel.

I'll put mine down to 150mm initially. Planning on pulling the lowers straight up to check the oil situation. Better safe than sorry I think

D

Deleted member FN2187

I'll put mine down to 150mm initially. Planning on pulling the lowers straight up to check the oil situation. Better safe than sorry I think
Yeah, 150mm for sure. I might run them at 160 for a bit to shake down the settings. I will have to pull them apart to lower them from the stock 160. I'm heavy so I'll probably upgrade to 7.5wt oil while I'm at it.

jrewing

Eats Squid
they need higher pressure than the chart, by a fair bit and they still stay plush but with better support

im 84 and im at 82psi. and run them about middle in hsc/lsc but 1 click from full on the HBO. HBO is awesome

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Looking forward to some blunt review action. Mattoc was on my short list.

Lyrik was also my favorite fork by a mile, bought 36's at the same time to compare and sold the 36's. Pikes are good, but certainly prefer the Lyrik, being a heavy bloke being able to play around with HSC is invaluable.

Pinkbike actually gave the mattoc a pretty good review, if you believe anything they say.

C0na

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Picked up a set of these from CRC, they should be here soon. Will be interesting on how they compare to my 55 evo ti's. I'm hoping these wont be too flexy, as I will be doing some DH days on these, time will tell. The wight of the mattoc is damn impressive, drops off 550g off the front end.

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
Picked up a set of these from CRC, they should be here soon. Will be interesting on how they compare to my 55 evo ti's. I'm hoping these wont be too flexy, as I will be doing some DH days on these, time will tell. The wight of the mattoc is damn impressive, drops off 550g off the front end.
I've seen wildly varying weights, from 1830g to almost 2kg. Got a real weigh in, anyone?

D

Deleted member FN2187

You know what they say, Manitou and RockShox weigh them without oil. Fox deliver them without oil :p

The weight difference for the pro and expert relate to the sealed/open bath dampers respectively. The open bath expert has more oil, hence more weight. The comp is a OE model only and doesn't have tapered stanchions and is open bath with quite a few less features. I.e no hydraulic bottom out control etc. Which in my opinion is the greatest feature ever put on a mountain bike fork for fat bastards like me.