Black Box upgrade?

leight

Likes Bikes
Could someone with knowledge of Boxxer Races please tell me definitively whether or not 2004 Races come from the factory with the Black Box upgrade installed?

I have searched other threads and there doesn't seem to be a definate "yes" anywhere. I have also tried to get in touch with the Sram tech at Monza imports but he is flat out ATM and haven't been able to speak to him yet.

Also, while I'm asking advice. What weight/volume oils do you recommend in each leg of a Race, for a rider of 165 lbs with the stock springs(yellow) - I have just noticed that the forks are bottoming enough that I can feel it, off of 3-4 foot drops. I suspect if I increase the oil weight in the compression leg, this will help resist bottom out??

I also have no preload spacers in, so would putting one or two spacers in help to eliminate that definate bottom out feel?

Thanks in advance

Leighton

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yes. Races, dont have a compression damper, so hevier oil in it isn't an option. Have you got the forks in 6 or 7 inch travel setting? Have you got your fork set to the right amount of sag? if not add spacers till you do, then play with oil if you need to. Have you replaced the oil that comes stock in the forks? if not do it, coz the stock stuff is crappy, and theres usually not enough of it. As for oil heights and weights, check the service manual on the rockshox website, that will give you the factory recomended oil weights and heights. If all this fails, do a search here and on ridemonkey.com theres a few riders that have good guides per oil for what works for them and what doesn't.

Daver

Kung Fu Panda
leight said:
Could someone with knowledge of Boxxer Races please tell me definitively whether or not 2004 Races come from the factory with the Black Box upgrade installed?
Yes they did.

Also, while I'm asking advice. What weight/volume oils do you recommend in each leg of a Race, for a rider of 165 lbs with the stock springs(yellow) - I have just noticed that the forks are bottoming enough that I can feel it, off of 3-4 foot drops. I suspect if I increase the oil weight in the compression leg, this will help resist bottom out??
Run some thicker oil in the rebound leg. I run Yellow springs in mine and i weigh... ah... 250 lbs and don't bottom it out off 6 foot drops. :?

I also have no preload spacers in, so would putting one or two spacers in help to eliminate that definate bottom out feel?
They would at the expense of small bump compliancy.

leight

Likes Bikes
shmity said:
Have you got the forks in 6 or 7 inch travel setting? Have you got your fork set to the right amount of sag? if not add spacers till you do.
7 inch(going by the all travel spacer being on top of the main spring) I actually have trouble getting anywhere near the recommended 30-60mm sag, even with no pre-load, so the bottom out is not due to excessive sag. Also according to the tftunedshox site, yellow springs should suit a heavier rider than me, and as Daver at 250lbs uses the same spring, I'm a bit confused as to what to do.

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Running slighty more oil, but lighter weight will help to slow things down quicker, but remembering that it is a rebound damper will mean in the long run its not going to do THAT much.

leight

Likes Bikes
thanks guys, have done a few more searches and it seems like I should give them the once over as per factory specs, ie: put correct 5 weight oil and volume in (as you suggested shmity) and then start again.

It would seem oils 'aint oils

Cheers

Leight

Disco

Likes Dirt
On other blackbox stories... ive got a pair of Duke Races (03) i wanna blackbox... but the blackboxracing.com site which they used to have all the details on "blackboxing"... is "closed until next season".
Does anyone have the instructions for blackboxing Dukes?

Little Mike