Blackspire Snaggletooth chainring - manufacturing defect?

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Needed to replace the Sram 32t N/W ring on my trail bike and ordered a Blackspire Snaggletooth, which arrived today. On installation, I immediately noticed things were not as they should be. As I rotated the ring, it wasn't straight; in fact it wobbled a good 2-3mm side to side. Also, it wasn't smoothly aligned with the chain, there was one spot where it 'grabbed' and made a bit of noise as the chain passed through. I used a torque wrench to install it (twice to make sure it was seated) and the chain wear is minimal, less than .05. Never had this problem with a chain ring before, can I conclude that the Blackspire is a badly made POS?

Definitely going to return it, but that's a total PITA... Have the trusty Canucks got it a bit wrong this time? Wish I'd been less of a tight arse and gotten a Wolf Tooth like last time :(

funkymonkey

Likes Dirt
Shame - I like black spire.

I have one with no problems. Only bought one as the RF NW wasn't in stock. No dramas since...

teK--

Eats Squid
Given that they are likely CNCed I suspect it was damaged in transit at some point in the supply chain?

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
I've had two. A 104bcd and a sram direct mount, both of which were spot on. I'd concur with teK, and suggest its been damaged at some point in the supply chain. Likely a distributor/retailer/FREIGHT PROVIDER issue.

#knuckleswasadrunkenchunt

Austen

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mine seems ok, but anodised red is term they don't really understand it would seem, more like worn out pink :der:

Nautonier

Eats Squid
It's definitely a manufacturing defect, on closer inspection I can see some wonky machining, which is right where the chain is 'sticking'. Could probably file it down, but it would look pretty ugly. Getting a new one sent out - good to know that others have had no problems with them as I originally purchased it because it looked as well made as the Wolf Tooth.

Beej1

I've been running a snaggletooth (34T) for 2 years and it's as good as any I've seen. It goes well with my super-awesome $70 AM Blackspire cranks that I frequently think of upgrading to the new fangle-dangle DM, alloy 30mm spindle hype ... but never actually find the justification.

About to order another one (32T) for an 11sp conversion in red ...

Mine seems ok, but anodised red is term they don't really understand it would seem, more like worn out pink :der:
... but perhaps I'll stick with black.

Austen

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've been running a snaggletooth (34T) for 2 years and it's as good as any I've seen. It goes well with my super-awesome $70 AM Blackspire cranks that I frequently think of upgrading to the new fangle-dangle DM, alloy 30mm spindle hype ... but never actually find the justification.

About to order another one (32T) for an 11sp conversion in red ...

... but perhaps I'll stick with black.

Haha! Yeah mate I was pissed, my superwank red theme is off