Bleeding 3 week old Avid brakes?

asdfben

Likes Bikes
that makes no sense!...is'nt the procedure based on actually knowing how to bleed a brake?..all brands are different, but the end result is essentially the same/replace the air with a non compressable fluid, without giving it a path to leak from under pressure!
If you understand what is actually happening while bleeding the brake and follow the little steps that make a difference, that better?

Cycle Technic

Likes Bikes
On most hydraulic brakes the bleed port is at the highest point in the system, if you rotate the lever right. On the Avid (more so the Elixir), the bleed port is in the side of the reservoir. Negatively pressurising the circuit by pulling on the upper syringe will cause the air above the bladder cap to expand, displacing the air under the bladder cap into the syringe. You can push fluid back and forth all day and not remove the air from an Avid reservoir.

CT

strezd

Likes Bikes
Lbs said I get 1 year free servicing on my bike and told me today a bleed would be covered.
So the bleed kit can wait and I get some new handlebars. Yay!

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Lbs said I get 1 year free servicing on my bike and told me today a bleed would be covered.
So the bleed kit can wait and I get some new handlebars. Yay!
Great stuff, hopefully they level it out for you. ;)

Well no wonder bike shops are going out of business - this all seems pretty generous :)

- Joel
This is the type of thing that will attract repeat customers. You end up selling them six bikes over a few years, get them serviced there and only feel obliged to shop in one store. It wouldn't cover everything but it is a great thing to do to instill some faith in a buyer.

I think it's called client/customer service ...
Yep, something that most stores lack. Without it, you won't get any business!

wilddemon

Likes Dirt
The Avid bleeding process is pretty simple but I recommend checking a video to do it. One thing I will say that not many instructions so is to wind your lever out if you have reach adjust) to enable that extra bit of fluid into the system thus making it more responsive.
I just did this. They are so responsive I now only have to think about slowing. Great tip. Here's another. Maybe don't wind them all the way out. They are tuned to the max!

hazsy19

Likes Bikes
Bleed or replace

I just did this. They are so responsive I now only have to think about slowing. Great tip. Here's another. Maybe don't wind them all the way out. They are tuned to the max!
Should I invest on the kit or should i change to saints? my avid are just 3mths old and losing power on the rear brake.

0psi

Eats Squid
Should I invest on the kit or should i change to saints? my avid are just 3mths old and losing power on the rear brake.
Buy an ebay bleed kit from china. Basically the same thing without the fluid, just get the appropriate DOT (5.1 I think) from a moto shop. I picked up an ebay kit for about $20 posted.

Then google Avid bleed pinkbike. There's a good clip there by Steve Peats mechanic that shows you the best way to bleed them.

hazsy19

Likes Bikes
Avid Bleed kit from Ebay

Buy an ebay bleed kit from china. Basically the same thing without the fluid, just get the appropriate DOT (5.1 I think) from a moto shop. I picked up an ebay kit for about $20 posted.

Then google Avid bleed pinkbike. There's a good clip there by Steve Peats mechanic that shows you the best way to bleed them.
Thanks mate!

Just checked it out on ebay and they are selling at $20 including the Dot4 brake fluid. Why was I not thinking about this initially?

Regards,
Hazree

redbruce

Eats Squid

Correct. Definitely DOT 5.1 (NOT to be confused with DOT 5 which is silicone based and not compatible with anything else), but can use DOT 4 as well as they use the same chemical base.

allan.taylor64

Likes Dirt
I've heard the factory bleed from avids can be rubbish...that said i havent needed to bleed my codes yet and have had them for at least 5 months now

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Dont you work at a bike store that sells giants?

Factory avid bleeds, anecdotally at least, seem to be utter rubbish indeed.
Yes I do, but given that Avid brakes are not exclusive to Giant as OEM spec, it's not necessary to make that comment in this instance.

Side note: The reason I declare my professional connection in certain posts is just etiquette that is common on another forum I participate in. It's considered Good Form for commenters who have a professional connection to a bike brand being discussed to declare that connection. It tends to fend off accusations of subversive plugging of particular bikes where nothing more than general advice is intended.

Carry on. :smile:

PS: We also sell Bianchi. :dance:

Gspot-Sniper

Likes Dirt
Ive had my bike 3 weeks now.
I've ridden it a lot.
Had 1 spill.
I have Avid 5 brakes.

I usually have a slow and steady breaking style with about 60-70% front brake and the rest rear.
Now I need I need to pull the rear brake lever all the way back to the handgrip to get a Full lock.

I'm guessing I need a bleed but so early?
Would a normal shop warranty cover this?
Should I invest in my own bleed kit?
What would cause a brake to need bleeding after only three weeks?

My little spill was two days before it developed the problem.
Ahhh!! The day the problem came up I was breaking a lot more than usual as I had to wait for my girlfriend to keep up. Maybe some subtle guilt placement would be in order and I could use the moment to tell her I want to buy $200 carbon handlebars amount other things.

Any help help/advice appreciated.

The brakes are considered a wear and tear item so most shops wouldnt cover this in a warranty.
i have experianced alot of avid brakes coming back for a bleed in a short period of timewhere i have
worked previously so its not that unusual. after they have had the first bleed they usually work
considerably better and wont need work for a while depending on how much you ride and if
your rough on the gear. they are not hard to bleed to maybe buy a kit and do it yourself to save $$$.

i dont use avid myself because i find them to be too spongy and would much perfer a shimano brake
instead man.

wavike

Likes Dirt
Thanks mate!

Just checked it out on ebay and they are selling at $20 including the Dot4 brake fluid. Why was I not thinking about this initially?

Regards,
Hazree
What ebay store did you order from. I've just ordered a Elixer 5 to replace 5.5 yr old Juicy 5. Probaly only needs new rotors but for the price thought may as well get the lot. I'll need to learn to cut and bleed.
This looks the goods from UK - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Epic-Avi...ing_Tools_RepairKits&var=&hash=item2a2a29017e

Last edited: