Bloody Ebay charges

grayzeee

Likes Bikes
I buy quite a bit of stuff off ebay but never sell , however, I sold a set of forks the other day, and was pretty shocked at the (as yet unpaid) fees.
Item sold for 257.50 inc postage.
paypal took their cut of 9 bucks
Ebay now want their cut of 25.50
Fargin hell. Wish I'd known.
Seller beware

cjaty

Likes Dirt
Yea things aren't what they used to be on ebay,seems to be less bargins as well.A lot more place to sell stuff these days

Zac Hinton

St Bernard
EBay May have high fees by comparison to other options, but your exposure is much higher than other options I think. It still hurts though.

styler

Likes Dirt
Ebay charges are pretty big these days. You always need to factor this into the sale, Or deal outside of ebay.:behindsofa:

Zam

Likes Dirt
yeah I am happy enough to buy stuff off ebay but think id be selling on there as a last resort, plenty of other cheaper options to get stuff sold for much cheaper prices....

Ideate

It's always about 10%. The more you sell for the more they take which feels dirty when you start selling shit for more than a $1000.

I always organise a sale outside of ebay. They have to agree though and usually only works for pickup. Works like this:

• I want to sell $250 forks.
  • They contact me with a questions about forks.
  • I answer and say I'll sell them to you for $10 cheaper if you pay when you pickup and if we cancel the listing after the auction via your ebay settings.
  • If they want to use credit card, they can use PayPal but ensure they send money as a gift (no PayPal fees)

Buyer is happy + no fees + good exposure.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
It's always about 10%. The more you sell for the more they take which feels dirty when you start selling shit for more than a $1000.

I always organise a sale outside of ebay. They have to agree though and usually only works for pickup. Works like this:

• I answer and say I'll sell them to you for $10 cheaper if you pay when you pickup and if we cancel the listing after the auction via your ebay settings.
  • If they want to use credit card, they can use PayPal but ensure they send money as a gift (no PayPal fees)

Just don't get caught doing this....

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge

Pffffft......i just hint that I'm interested in selling my bike when I put it in the post your ride thread. Works like a charm, and I don't have to give johnny his 14%. Also if you're looking to do a dodgy, say you're selling for a mate. Instant get out of jail free card right there :thumb:

grayzeee

Likes Bikes
Good idea's

Not to mention that I havent yet got the money in my bank account 3 weeks after sold date. Pffttt

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Good idea's

Not to mention that I havent yet got the money in my bank account 3 weeks after sold date. Pffttt
Has the buyer not paid or Paypal have cocked up (not unusual) and it hasn't been sent to your bank account?

Minlak

custom titis
Just for clarity. If you agree to purchase outside of eBay and you pay by PayPal and mark it as a gift to avoid PayPal fees you have no protection at all. You may as well just put the cash in the sellers bank account.

Wanted to make sure people knew the full story is all.

Personally you sign up to eBay and theg are very good at explaining the fee structure then suck it up and pay the fees is my opinion. Like buyers that sook if the postage is too high then don't bid as much postage is part of the price.

Ideate

Just for clarity. If you agree to purchase outside of eBay and you pay by PayPal and mark it as a gift to avoid PayPal fees you have no protection at all. You may as well just put the cash in the sellers bank account.

Wanted to make sure people knew the full story is all.

Personally you sign up to eBay and theg are very good at explaining the fee structure then suck it up and pay the fees is my opinion. Like buyers that sook if the postage is too high then don't bid as much postage is part of the price.
Yes, Never do this if you don't trust the seller or the item is being shipped (although we do it all the time here on Rb). You can still send money but the seller will incur a fee to collect.

It's real value is when you need to use your credit card to pay someone.