Bloody roadies; a mountain bikers perspective

slowmick

38-39"
Great read dozer. you are a better man than I - went looking at roadies to ride with mates wound up with a 29er hardtail as a compromise - not as fast but more familiar.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
You put your sunnies over the straps of your helmet so that if you fall off, you don't accidentally blind yourself with the handles or glass/plastic. Yes this has happened.

If you want to know what lycra is for then simply drive any appreciable distance at 100kph with your head leaning out the window like a dog. The window is like lycra!

I love road cycling but I've just discovered mountain biking and I don't have to travel as far to have as much fun. I now want a new bike (n+1 in effect!)

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
For those who don't know, Dozer is the guy cruising along at 50km/h, full face helmet, neck brace, pads, and 2 cans of monster in the bottle cages!

Last edited:

Sappa

Likes Dirt
You put your sunnies over the straps of your helmet so that if you fall off, you don't accidentally blind yourself with the handles or glass/plastic. Yes this has happened.
Well finally now I know why, might even do that one now. Not the rest tho.

I got a roady to commute to work, got the Lycra after shorts bunched up and got some unpleasant chafing. Not going to shave the legs don't see the point.

I enjoy any ride but mtb is way much more fun and I only do XC.

One note the brakes are fine on a road bike, it is the skinny tyres that is the problem. I have locked up both wheels more than once, that little contact patch ain't going to stop you. And when it gets wet never ride on the paint.

One of the scariest things I hit was the cats eyes in the middle of the road, thought I was going to buckle the front wheel.

MARKL

Eats Squid
Really? Can't see how it helps:noidea::noidea:

And when it gets wet never ride on the paint.
Roundabouts in the wet:fear: when you cross that grease lane with more than two drops of water on it:fear: you will be going down quicker than Moorey with a bag full.

scblack

Leucocholic
Really? Can't see how it helps:noidea::noidea:

Roundabouts in the wet:fear: when you cross that grease lane with more than two drops of water on it:fear: you will be going down quicker than Moorey with a bag full.
The only thing that putting the sunnies outside your helmet straps does is to tuck the straps closer to your head. There is NOTHING else achieved.

Grease line - I have nearly crashed going UPHILL on Galston Rd up to Hornsby on switchbacks where the oil stains lie. A touch of water turns them into skating rink material.

0psi

Eats Squid
The only thing that putting the sunnies outside your helmet straps does is to tuck the straps closer to your head. There is NOTHING else achieved.
It also makes them significantly easier to get on and off while riding and you won't look like a Triathlete.

Edit: As for grease keep in mind that it gets better the more it rains. A little rain just brings the oil and crap to the surface of the road and a lot of rain washes it away.

Last edited:

chrischris

Likes Dirt
Well,

I had a road bike for 1 year, & then sold it.

I quite liked your original post! I agree with most points, however you missed out one point...

Mobile phones. Smart phones. A community of people who are convinced that its okay to chat / text / email / facebook / google whilst driving. This is the reason my roadie is gone. There is nothing scarier than seeing every 4th driver with their head down whilst driving.

Discuss.

P.s. strangely, I haven't had a problem with moto bikes while playing in the Watagans. They don't use mobile phones when riding.

Last edited:

scblack

Leucocholic
It also makes them significantly easier to get on and off while riding and you won't look like a Triathlete.

Edit: As for grease keep in mind that it gets better the more it rains. A little rain just brings the oil and crap to the surface of the road and a lot of rain washes it away.
I regularly do the Universe Cycles group ride loop from North Parramatta out to Blacktown area with a rip along the Great Western Highway home. The roadies are generally great guys and good to chat to, and help with peloton etiquette etc.

The only person I cannot stand is some wanker who is a triathlon coach - what a f*ckwit. Bounces backwards and forwards in the group nattering away to his students, but then has the temerity to call up others on group positioning or some little matter. F*ck off and just ride idiot, leave others to their thing.

Aussie_Ryder

Likes Dirt
I had a road bike for 1 year, & then sold it.

Mobile phones. Smart phones. A community of people who are convinced that its okay to chat / text / email / facebook / google whilst driving. This is the reason my roadie is gone. There is nothing scarier than seeing every 4th driver with their head down whilst driving.
This is my reason for not taking my chances on the road.. far too many P platers that don't care if they hit you.

wavike

Likes Dirt
This is my reason for not taking my chances on the road.. far too many P platers that don't care if they hit you.
Returning home from a ride about an hour ago, red P plater went past at about 90 in 60 zone. Still scared the shit out of me even though he was in the right lane. :clap2: cops had a radar both sides of the road 1/2 k further on. Licence gone.... said thanks to the cop on the way past.

Aussie_Ryder

Likes Dirt
Returning home from a ride about an hour ago, red P plater went past at about 90 in 60 zone. Still scared the shit out of me even though he was in the right lane. :clap2: cops had a radar both sides of the road 1/2 k further on. Licence gone.... said thanks to the cop on the way past.
That is brilliant!

The only thing that could possibly make me happier was if the P plater was driving a commodore with a Chev badge?

Capone

Likes Dirt
Day made thank you

Norco Maniac

Is back!
For those who don't know, Dozer is the guy cruising along at 50km/h, full face helmet, neck brace, pads, and 2 cans of monster in the bottle cages!
that's BIDON cages to you :p

This is my reason for not taking my chances on the road.. far too many bogan Commodore drivers that don't care if they hit you.
fixed it for you

made my day too. i would have given the coppers a thumbs up as well.

bikeyoulongtime

Likes Dirt
Ah bless. I'm actually kind of sympathetic, coulda been me 20 years ago

...now if only there was a copper waiting sown the road for all the road going cyclists whose brain circulation is obviously impeded by sitting on the seat! don't get too many bogan commodores or crazy P platers my way, but holy shit - cyclists are out to eat each other alive... commuting is obviously a very very fucking serious business in this town!

sikpuppyonglory

Likes Dirt
Nice read there Dozer,

Pro's to riding a roadie:
1. cruising along at 50 kph on the highway, 4 semi's go past you doing 100 kph, your speed increases to 85, maybe 90 kph for a short period of time :rockon:
2. hella easy to bunny hop at 70+ kph when you realize a cattlegrid is right in front of you after 2 other blokes in the lead, have just left the ground in front of you and left you to ponder life decisions with no time to think of consequences if it all goes pear shape.......

Con's to riding a roadie:

1. Parked vehicles in general HURT!!!!!! bank account hurts worse after this......
2. Crashing in general on a roadie HURTS!!!!!!
3. Traffic calming islands with signs on them HURTS in general!!!!!! bank account & dignity hurt, but still amusing to this day
4. wet road corners, can pull a mad drift..... gotta be able to hold it though......
5. road racing, someone getting taken down mid field, If you don't bump jump them, you're going down also.
6. numb nuts, then giving them a squeeze for some feeling, only to end in the foetal position clutching them in agony.......
7. verbal abuse from downhillers ( my favourite ):heh: it is a given right to banter with other bike riders....... lol.

can't think of any more at the moment.

Heal up well dozer, you'll be up and on the real bike in no time.