Blue Mountains riding

davef

Likes Bikes
Hey guys
I'm heading to Wentworth falls for 4 days this tues 5/3/13. I have no idea where to ride I'm super keen. Would someone up that way be ever so kind to take me for a shred? I'm keen for AM or DH but even a bit of XC would be fun. Or even if someone can give me directions to some sweet trails. Cheers Lads

Dave

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Check the fat hippy web site, there's a heap on there.
Andersons to the Oaks or St Helinas is pretty good. Wenty to Glenbrook, train it back, or do in reverse if you're some sort of sadomasochistic super fit freaka.

Last edited:

BLKFOZ

Likes Dirt
If you're after AM, then Mt York is the go. Lockyers and Cox's are the 2 descents, ride back up Lawsons Long Alley or Lockyers. Possible shuttle pick up at the bottom too if thats your thing.
Andersons firetrail is actually OK for AM is you ride fast - it's probably my favourite firetrail type ride. The fireroad to get to Andersons is pretty average and there is a huge climb out but there are some awesome rocky loose descents and grippy fast sections with waterbars. Toward the end of Andersons (well Murpheys firetrail actually), near Woodford, there is a big rock shelf on the left with drops, roll downs etc. Link it up with The Oaks and finish in Glenbrook for around 60km all up.
There is some DH stuff around Lithgow - check out ctmbc.com and ask for some advice.

davef

Likes Bikes
Thanks heaps for the advice guys, looked into your suggestions and I think Mt York is going to be more my thing. If any of you live up there and feel like a ride this week let me know.

Ta

mrx78u

Likes Dirt
Thanks heaps for the advice guys, looked into your suggestions and I think Mt York is going to be more my thing. If any of you live up there and feel like a ride this week let me know.

Ta
Davef, you'll find the tracks in Hartley Vale which link up the Mt York descent to the climb back out will be like swamp after all this rain. Have ridden there days after rain, and been up to the derailleur in mud, not good.

Mud aside, It's good fun out there, though probably best to take a friend, lots of opportunities for injury :)

davef

Likes Bikes
Davef, you'll find the tracks in Hartley Vale which link up the Mt York descent to the climb back out will be like swamp after all this rain. Have ridden there days after rain, and been up to the derailleur in mud, not good.

Mud aside, It's good fun out there, though probably best to take a friend, lots of opportunities for injury :)
Legend thanks for the advice mate, anywhere else you would recommend that holds up to the rain a little better? Preferably AM, DH or technical XC.

davef

Likes Bikes
Check the fat hippy web site, there's a heap on there.
Andersons to the Oaks or St Helinas is pretty good. Wenty to Glenbrook, train it back, or do in reverse if you're some sort of sadomasochistic super fit freaka.
Cheers, St helinas looks pretty rad, I'll give that a go

mrx78u

Likes Dirt
Cheers, St helinas looks pretty rad, I'll give that a go
Agree with previous post, Oaks and Ando's are ok after rain provided the creek crossings aren't flooded. Oaks singletrack can turn into a creek during heavy rain though (got caught out twice, once with hail). Knapsack seems to drain pretty well if you're after some short singletrack to play on. Will have to check out St Helenas some time.

Just bought a house in Glenbrook, can't wait to move in :D

No Skid Marks

Make sure you know what way to go on St Hellenas. I spent the night in the bush there many years ago after hours of dragging a bike down a creek, on the hottest day of the year. Awoke to more creek dragging, then what felt like a cliff climb up to near McDonalds. Stay away from "The Lost World" I think it's the right turn your meant to take, and left or right will get you out at the river if you know where you're heading. In short, do it with someone who knows, or at least with GPS. I do hate doubling back. This flaw alone most definitely made it a lot worse.

i'm in mt riv and looking for some stuff to ride too.
happy to tag along when people are heading out for a ride.
i only really know of knapsack park and the oaks. havent explored too much else around the area.

MrCove

South Shore Distribution
quite a large network of trails between Winmalee and Emu, you just need a guide!

i work shifts so do most riding in the week

davef

Likes Bikes
Make sure you know what way to go on St Hellenas. I spent the night in the bush there many years ago after hours of dragging a bike down a creek, on the hottest day of the year. Awoke to more creek dragging, then what felt like a cliff climb up to near McDonalds. Stay away from "The Lost World" I think it's the right turn your meant to take, and left or right will get you out at the river if you know where you're heading. In short, do it with someone who knows, or at least with GPS. I do hate doubling back. This flaw alone most definitely made it a lot worse.
Geez sounds hectic thanks for the heads up, might give that one a miss until I'm with a local.
Cheers

Kramer

FoBR
+1 for NSM

I rode St H's & Lost Worlds solo about 18 months ago. Was heaps overgrown, and snapped my rear mech off on a stick far off the beaten track. Considered hiking back up to the Oaks and rolling down, but just kicked and rolled to the chute and then dumped my bike in the duck hole at the river before dragging it up the hill to Glenbrook. (Yes, I have had better days on the bike!)

No Skid Marks

+1 for NSM

I rode St H's & Lost Worlds solo about 18 months ago. Was heaps overgrown, and snapped my rear mech off on a stick far off the beaten track. Considered hiking back up to the Oaks and rolling down, but just kicked and rolled to the chute and then dumped my bike in the duck hole at the river before dragging it up the hill to Glenbrook. (Yes, I have had better days on the bike!)
"lost World" is down in that Valley right? You go left before you get to the look out? There's no tracks from down there I thought. We followed the water course that was car sized boulders down a creek, or razor vines on steep banks. We dragged for hours. Then got to the river junction we'd seen from the look out hours before. Got dark then and we made a fire and tried to sleep, before a couple more hours bike carrying then up the cliff. Don't tell me there was an easier way(Other than going back).
Solo would've sucked. But you wouldn't have had to put up with winging, LOL.

MrCove

South Shore Distribution
Sorry mate I'm off to lockyers/ cox's now haven't got time this arvo. Could maybe do a bit of a ride tomorrow morn before I head home?
yep, Friday morn is good for me, ride Winmalee trails
what time?