Blue tooth speaker for riding - what's good?

John U

MTB Precision
Hi,
After getting a bit of a boost by a friendly rider coming past with good tunes going in the Golden Goat 6 hour I have been considering getting a speaker myself. I hate the idea of riding with headphones in.

Does anyone have any advice on what to get?

I'm assuming it needs to smallish (attaches easily to a camelbak or fits in one of the external pockets), is dust proof and water resistant/proof. Probably needs to get about 5 hours out of the battery.

My main use for it may be on solo rides or in the early hours of a solo 24 effort I plan to do.

Price about $100, cheaper if the quality's there.

What have you got?

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
For races, excellent. For general trail riding, source of annoyance to other uses of the bush and a magnet for complaints.

I did see one advertised lately called a mini-we or something such. We're said to be sturdy.

John U

MTB Precision
For races, excellent. For general trail riding, source of annoyance to other uses of the bush and a magnet for complaints.

I did see one advertised lately called a mini-we or something such. We're said to be sturdy.
Noted. I don't plan on blasting out the tunes. Probably just enough to put a tune into my head to keep me going. To this point I've only ever relied on the tune in my head but it was cool when the dude with the set up past me in the race. I will look up the mini we.

Try one of these...blue tooth, plenty of punch, can plug in microphone and guitar! Comes with strap to mount it.

http://www.blaupunkt-australia.com.au/product/earthquake-high-power-audio-system/

Even has flashing lights.
Not enough grunt or flashing lights Poodle. I'd prefer one that came with its' own pole dancer if you can find it. Don't care about cost or weight while training.

Don't know about the battery life, but I like these: https://outdoor-technology.com.au/shop/wireless-audio/buckshot/

Pretty rugged too.
Looks good. Have you used it?

Has anyone tried these? Fits in a bottle cage.
http://www.gizmag.com/scosche-boombottle-review/29313/

si618

Likes Dirt
Also hate the idea of headphones, but agree that if you're riding in the bush, someone banging out choons might be considered a tad annoying.

That being said, for my daily commute I was pondering on these, as they apparently fit in a water bottle cage and should be good for letting pedestrians know you're around.

I've used the UE Boom mini and it's pretty good, but not sure how the larger version would fare on a bike, anyone tried it out?

willsy01

Eats Squid
UE Boom. Little more than 100 clams, fits the bill though. Extremely impressive sound quality from such a little thing.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There was some hexagonal shaped ones on BikeRumour ages ago that will fit the bill perfectly, I'll try and track them down and come back with it..

Web Site below;
https://store.boombotix.com/

Don't know anything about the performance of them, but they are probably better shaped to carry whilst riding than other options.
They've got an email sign up for 20% discount too. Although shipping from the US and the flailing dollar might make it over budget?

Last edited:

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Don't know about the battery life, but I like these: https://outdoor-technology.com.au/shop/wireless-audio/buckshot/

Pretty rugged too.
I've got a couple of these. Highly recommend them, been using them for about 18 months.

Battery life is long; I charge it every few weeks, and often run it for a few hours at a time. Reckon it would be at least 10 hours. Very rarely falls of my handlebars; maybe if you're riding rock gardens in the wet.

will2

Likes Dirt
UE Boom. Little more than 100 clams, fits the bill though. Extremely impressive sound quality from such a little thing.

I have to give some love to the Boom. The sound they out out and for how long is phenomenal, I have also had this thing just rolling around in the back of the ute unaware for a few weeks, It held up incredibly. I reckon you could cable tie and tape it to your frame save having it in your bag. Also the price is pretty good.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
At only 10 kg you'll be flying up the hills!
It is also very aerodynamic

A few years ago I had a helmet with speakers in it. It was surprisingly good. Pumped out the beats enough to block out everything around you, but the people more than 1m away couldn't hear it. It lead me to an incident with the police one night...azonic/O'Neal brand from memory. Not sure such an item still exists. They are pretty common in snow sports, but the speakers are usually inside some ear pads.

A-Newbie

Likes Bikes
Markgab said he uses the x-mini, i think this is what hes talking about
http://x-mini.com.au
Looks pretty good battery life for a tiny unit, and maybe wack a little solar panel on there and youll be sorted!
Not bad price either, might give one a try myself!

takai

Eats Squid
I used to use an old set of Qantas headphones where one side had snapped off, on the road bike. Just had the driver taped to the helmet away from and slightly behind my ear. Could hear enough to get a tune in my head but wouldnt drown out the surrounding noise.

will2

Likes Dirt
It is also very aerodynamic

A few years ago I had a helmet with speakers in it. It was surprisingly good. Pumped out the beats enough to block out everything around you, but the people more than 1m away couldn't hear it. It lead me to an incident with the police one night...azonic/O'Neal brand from memory. Not sure such an item still exists. They are pretty common in snow sports, but the speakers are usually inside some ear pads.
Yeah I have a helmet for skiing with speakers, it was an extra $30 for the speakers so I was like fuck it! It is a bit of a novelty I have used it a handful of times but I ski with mates so there is no point too much jibbing to be aware of. Please, elaborate on this police incident.

John U

MTB Precision
Checked out the UE Boom today. Nicely finished. Due to its' weight it would probably need to be mounted in a bottle cage and given the rubber cover was only one side I thought it would get trashed getting used like this. This along with the $200 price put me off.

Sound was good though. The bloke in the store put the volume on max when he was demoing it. Bloody loud.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Great idea for races! There was a guy getting around at the Scott 24hr last year with a speaker pumping the tunes. Was a great pick me up when he passed me doing the dawn shift.

tommy gun

Likes Dirt
boom and stubby holder

Just tried boom in stubby holder fits perfect into bottle cage and adds extra protection and shock absorption, keen to try today
I have to give some love to the Boom. The sound they out out and for how long is phenomenal, I have also had this thing just rolling around in the back of the ute unaware for a few weeks, It held up incredibly. I reckon you could cable tie and tape it to your frame save having it in your bag. Also the price is pretty good.