BMC 100km 2009

johndh

Likes Dirt
Ambulance cover after 2 trips in an ambulance after a crash at Forrest if I didn't have cover it would have cost me thousands$$. As an event organiser if we have an injured rider our first aid will ring an ambulance if they assess it is necessary, the cost of the ambulance trip is covered by the rider.

RED_RACER

Likes Dirt
The ambulance trip from the BMC 100km is about $2500. I think you only need one of those trips to justify a lifetime of ambulance cover.

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ambulance Coverage will at least get you from the course to a hospital.
Check the cost of an Air abulance to melbourne from Woodend, worst case.
If you do need time off work at least with Ambulance cover you won't start $1000's in the hole.
Good point about income protection....would this be a race or a participation event? Or would only elite class count as racing?
I would reckon you would be AOK as a participation event but it will depend on your insurer.

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Dont get me wrong, I have ambulance cover too, but people failing to insure their greatest asset (the ability to earn an income) is crazy.
The number of people I run into who insure their car but dont insure the driver (themself) makes me shake my head.

njleach

Squid
which companies offer income protection insurance for people riding in MTB races?

I just confirmed with ING that one of their exclusions "participation in or training for professional sports or speed contests" for their secure living plan excludes MTB'ers competing in 50km/100km/endurance events as that falls under the 'speed contest' definition...

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As I said, get in touch with a proper broker who will compare ALL companies for you.
I know I am covered via Asteron and Comminsure and disclosed that I did MTB events at the time.

vogmae

Likes Dirt
Tasty.dirt74

I would recommend the Trance for the Woodend race - there is a long pine forest section after the 70km mark which is very rough. On a HT you will hurt (a lot) and lose speed.
this was my first ever race last year, on a HT. This year I'll be back but doing the 50K, I finished last year but from 70k on the pine forest was just too f* rough on my bike. Just remember arm pump, tired shoulders and not much fun. The track up to then was stunning, so I reckon 50k I get most of the best trails and I can enjoy the finish area more with a beer :)

vogmae

Likes Dirt
Does anybody know if this race is affected from the bushfires?
At the moment I think the consensus from those who have been up to wombat is that the fires in that area have been NW of the town and trails. Of course there's still a while between now and the race and a lot of hot days to come :-(

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I will be racing/riding the trance. Thank you very much !!!
I will be coming down to Melbourne the week before the race with the family , can anyone suggest rides in / or around melbourne. Club rides , social rides , anything like that .
Being a fish out of water in "the big smoke" it would be great to meet others who ride. preferably a MTB.I can only bring one bike down and roadies are too fast!!! :eek:
Even for obvious things like where to eat , where to go.:confused:
We are staying in Collins street in the city if location helps.

Bjorn

Likes Dirt
BMC course

this was my first ever race last year, on a HT. This year I'll be back but doing the 50K, I finished last year but from 70k on the pine forest was just too f* rough on my bike. Just remember arm pump, tired shoulders and not much fun. The track up to then was stunning, so I reckon 50k I get most of the best trails and I can enjoy the finish area more with a beer :)
I was speaking to Russ from the Wombat crew and he said this year the pine forest is up in the early part of the race with the later stages of the race being run on the Wombat track we know and love.

vogmae

Likes Dirt
I was speaking to Russ from the Wombat crew and he said this year the pine forest is up in the early part of the race with the later stages of the race being run on the Wombat track we know and love.
Oh no! So I have to do the 100k if i want the good trails? Sheesh, I reckon they should do the 50k loop from last year twice, that way the field goes back through the village, good for the families, spectators etc :)

Shane-O

Likes Bikes
I'm in for the 100... maybe still fired up from the OO 50k, but I'm signing up before my body can tell my mind that its nuts...

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Howdy Farkers,

I'm in the same boat as Shane-O. Just did the OO and looking to give another 100km event a go.

Are there any farkers out there that can give a quick comparison on the two. Now I know there's not going to be the hills that the Otway had, but is the ST more technical? Whats the spilt between St and firetrail?

Just keen to know how to approach training. Clearly have the legs (pulled up very well from the OO so obviously didn't try hard enough!) and thinking if I simply continue the miles or if I need to do more technical riding as well.

Cheers,

Coast

John U

MTB Precision
Howdy Farkers,

I'm in the same boat as Shane-O. Just did the OO and looking to give another 100km event a go.

Are there any farkers out there that can give a quick comparison on the two. Now I know there's not going to be the hills that the Otway had, but is the ST more technical? Whats the spilt between St and firetrail?

Just keen to know how to approach training. Clearly have the legs (pulled up very well from the OO so obviously didn't try hard enough!) and thinking if I simply continue the miles or if I need to do more technical riding as well.

Cheers,

Coast
Continue with the same training. The better prepared for the race you are the more you will enjoy it and the BMC is a more enjoyable race so this should be doubly so.
If you survived the technical on the OO then should be right for the BMC.

Hi, just wondering what people would recomend for tire choice for this race I'm thinking Crossmark F & R atm will this be ok?.

This will be my third 100k race and realy looking forward to it but I think it will be rather painfull as I plan to do solo champs the week before, any other riders crazy enough to do the double?