BMX: Complete vs. Custom

Justin Fox

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi kids,

I've never owned a BMX (unless you call a 90's Bully a BMX) and my mate Jing has been pushing me to get one.

I've dropped in to Hell on Wheels in Newtown to check out their bikes but ended up gawking at their skate stuff more than the bikes lol. I used to be a skater in the day (I'm 33 now) and I'm still very much in love with skate culture (BMX culture seems pretty fucking close by the way).

With skating I never ever bought a "complete". In fact there wasn't any such a thing as a complete back then unless you bought a skateboard (brick) from Kmart.

So I'm just wondering absout BMX Completes. I initially had a budget of $500. I had a look at the 09 Fit range and it all just looks cheap to me. I've tried to figure out why, maybe it's because:

A) They are fairly cheap. Some were about $600-ish and 'looked' similar to the more expensive ones.

B) They all seemed to try hard to 'look' custom but in the end of the day none of them looked like how I would build one to look like (ie: I'd have to buy one and then modify it to suit my tatstes later on).

C) Maybe it's because of my skating days but I just don't feel too right about buying something already done/personalised by the company.

I've done some math and it seems like a lesser brand name complete with a full chromoly frame can be had for about $600. I could then de-sticker it, put a bit more cash into it (say new stem, bars, pedals, saddle, smaller things) and get it to where I'd be happy with it. That might add up to be under $1k.

OR

I could buy a 2nd hand beater from eBay or the forums but I am having a hard time trusting the condition of the bikes I'm looking at.

OR

I could go custom which I added up to cost about $1600!!! That's crazy to me for a simple BMX bike (with no gears/sussy/much technology/etc).

So, just thinking out loud, any thoughts on completes and/or any advice would be appreciated.

completes are a great option to buy because they are relitivly cheap to buy and can then use main parts and modify what u like, on the other hand customs are great btu cost alot more, i would recomend get a complete closest to what your after an dchange the parts ot go with riding styles etc.

Gudsell

Likes Dirt
Buy a stockie for starting off. One of my mates bought a stock fit for around that price and has only changed the pedals so far, but he rides it unbelieveably hard (flips on concrete, etc) and it seems to be holding up well. If you want my opinion, buy a stockie and build it up when you improve your riding.

syphon_the_python

Likes Dirt
Cheapest, most efficient option would be to go a complete.

The more expensive option obviously is to go custom. Do you already ride bmx or have any experience? If not, you'll be spending cash purely for the looks of the machine (making it look how you want like you said). Like you've identified, a bmx is a simple piece of machinery, no suspension or anything like that. What you're paying for with the custom built bikes is what many would say are "incremental improvements". For example, slight weight advantages on a set of bars with a drilled out crossbar. If you really just want to ride the thing, and are n00b, and don't want to spend a fortune, don't bother.

My 2c

nodirection

Likes Bikes
i agree with the dudes above

I've been riding for about 8 months & just finished my first custom(2nd bike). So...

Get a complete but make sure you go as high as you can, at least something with sealed componants.

Aim to replace things with better componants as they break - and they will - then get a new frame & you'll pretty much have a custom.

I cheaped out on my complete & the only things that made it onto the new frame were the wheels and the steam! dont do that...

rhysrhysbaby

Eats Squid
Get a top of the range wtp complete. For the cash, they are soooooo dialled.

They seem to have slightly longer tt than other completes so your old man back won't get sore haah.

But on the other hand, every time I look at my bike and also ride it I'm soooooooooooooo happy with the cash I spent on it. Its big money for such a simple bike, but its worth it 100percent.

pryaz

Likes Dirt
Go for a complete and upgrade parts as they break or as you want them.
Pretty much summarising what has been said above.

rhysrhysbaby

Eats Squid
Get a top of the range wtp complete. For the cash, they are soooooo dialled.

They seem to have slightly longer tt than other completes so your old man back won't get sore haah.

But on the other hand, every time I look at my bike and also ride it I'm soooooooooooooo happy with the cash I spent on it. Its big money for such a simple bike, but its worth it 100percent.

bmxer

Likes Dirt
custom bikes are good but expensive,I am selling a custom volume which is in pretty good condition, message me if your interested id sell if for around 600 ono

Justin Fox

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yes I'm a complete BMX n00b but I'd still like something nice even if I am just starting out.

Buying a nice frame I like (Subrosa Armada in RAW) is already $400 and the crankset I want is $350. That's already $750 for just a frame and cranks!!!

I'm still struggling with the idea of buying a complete as they just look so naff but buying one then modifying it will still be cheaper than a full custom.

Cheers for all the advice guys I'll start hunting for a decent complete.

'Ross

Eats Squid
Just build up a custom, if you buy a complete you will probably change anything anyway. And you probably don't have to buy the BEST of the best parts for it...I picked up a fly pantera frame for 50bucks:) The only problem was about 20 layers of shit paint upon shit paint, which I have now removed.

Cameo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You have to go custom, building up a bmx to YOUR liking is half the fun! And I think I'm right to assume that you love 'projects'.

Justin Fox

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ah too late - I walked into Belrose Bicycles today and walked out $900 poorer (VISA Card FTMFW/L!?).

I'll start a new thread in the rides section!