boating enthusiasts

$$Noble$$

Likes Dirt
hey

i need to upgrade our engine on the boat. the max power to weight ratio is 30hp. we have now got a 15hp yamaha 4 stroke. but we just need that extra power as it is really busting it's balls out trying to get on the plane. ok so this is my kuffufel. i am after a 30 hp engine light as possible so 2 strokes are the choice. the engine is taken off after every day and cleaned and washed and it is only used for the 6 weeks of chrissy holidays so it wont be overly used. please help me decide out of these contenders.

http://www.boatsplus.com.au/index.php?_a=viewProdComparison&prodId=1581,1580,495,413,143,58&page=0

mr_casual

Likes Dirt
have fun taking any of them on and off every day!
go the yamaha, from my experience mercury and evinrude dont make as gooder two strokes

DINGUS

Likes Bikes
Hey Mate,

In my experience i've found that Tohatsu makes the best 2 strokes out there. If you're in Sydney there's a great guy in newtown to get one off. If you're restricted too that list though I'd probably go the Yamaha.

new guy

Likes Dirt
How about evenrude e-teck do they make one that small because that would be really good (econimical,light,long service intervals, and nice to the enviroment)

Jon

Not Grip, OK... So don't ask!
Go the Yamaha, pull start, should be cheaper and definitely simpler.
Depends on the age of the users though as the Mariner(Mercury) is a fair bit lighter.
Of course any electric will require a battery so more money, maintenance and reliability issues.

$$Noble$$

Likes Dirt
i have been googling toetatsue and it is like a mixed review some say they are good as others say they are a shit

M.artin

Arrow Racing
Hey,

Id go the Yamaha... Ive found that more people deal in them, So more spares and servicing is available and they are also a good reliable motor... I use one, (I deal with every brand on the market).

Also,

How much trouble are you having getting on the plane?

What hull do you have, (Type of boat / Length and weight?)

Do you have or have you tried hydrofoils?

Jon

Not Grip, OK... So don't ask!
Hey,

Id go the Yamaha... Ive found that more people deal in them, So more spares and servicing is available and they are also a good reliable motor... I use one, (I deal with every brand on the market).

Also,

Let the worms come forth;)

$$Noble$$

Likes Dirt
Hey,

Also,

maybe a 3 to 3.5m blow up mercury. yer i have a hydrofoil on i t
it has helped a bit just needs a bit
more

M.artin

Arrow Racing
maybe a 3 to 3.5m blow up mercury. yer i have a hydrofoil on i t
it has helped a bit just needs a bit
more
Alrighty, What kind of deck does it have? (RIB, Air Deck, Slated Deck, Inflatable Keel, Etc...)

Sorry for all the questions, This is my job.

M.artin

Arrow Racing
Hmmm... I wouldnt be putting a 30Hp on it. Chances are it will rip the transom off. you might get away with a 20.

According to the specs I have on a Merc 310-350 meter inflatable with Inflatable keel and timber floor. They are rated to a max of 15HP...

You can always get away with a little more, But not double.

Problem is, The hull type is not a really good planer, And chances are that you are planing as much as you can anyway... It just doesnt feel like it.

Id say, Save the dough and get a 20Hp.

But that is just my opinion, Id gather some other opinions & also have a chat to your local boat yards.

$$Noble$$

Likes Dirt
there is a little plate on the board saying that the max power is 30 hp or 22 kw ill try and find the boat for you

norco01

Likes Dirt
25hp tohatsu.

It's what we use for surf lifesaving, shits alllll over the 25hp yamaha's we have, much better turning excelleration and excelleration in general.

M.artin

Arrow Racing
Nice.

I thought you said it was 3.0meters not 4.3m though... ?

Doesnt matter though, Id go a 30 on that one, For sure... That is a heavy/solid inflatable.

Yamaha 30Hp 2Stroke, With a good hydrofoil should do it.

$$Noble$$

Likes Dirt
yer mate i did i was just guessing the length off by head sorry amature. you said you do it for living do you sell the boat engines? or sell the boats?

M.artin

Arrow Racing
yer mate i did i was just guessing the length off by head sorry amature. you said you do it for living do you sell the boat engines? or sell the boats?
You familiar with Whitworths? (I work there, and am also a Marine engine mechanic and boat builder).

$$Noble$$

Likes Dirt
25hp tohatsu.

It's what we use for surf lifesaving, shits alllll over the 25hp yamaha's we have, much better turning excelleration and excelleration in general.
i herd they are excellent and i have herd they are crap. so not to keen on it. and they are a bitch when it comes to warranty. just what i have been reading