Bodyboard HELP

dillon22

Likes Dirt
Gday all,

Well I'm looking at getting a new bodyboard, but first have a few questions and would like some help. Although I've been boarding for a little while now, I'm only really starting to get into it a bit more 'seriously' now, and still don't really know much about boards etc.

I have been told to look at boards that have channels, mesh and stringers, and to look at boards about 5cm up or down from my bellybutton in length.

I'm roughly 175cm tall, weigh about 65kg and will be mainly boarding at Phillip Island, VIC. And at the moment I only would like to be looking at boards less then $300.

And while trying to look on the internet for boards, I found people talking about boards that were pp, pe and dow, bat tail and other bodyboard specific talk I didn't know the meaning of.

My questions are;
1. Can someone please tell me what I should be looking for in a board, and give me some examples of boards that would suit me well.
2. Is there any good places around that I could get a good board from for cheap/cheaper.
3. Am I on the right track with what I have been told so far.
4. The meanings to all the types of body boards, and what there like and the differences between them (for example pp, pe, dow, battail etc.)

All help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Dillon. :)

Stanas

Likes Bikes
My questions are;
1. Can someone please tell me what I should be looking for in a board, and give me some examples of boards that would suit me well.
2. Is there any good places around that I could get a good board from for cheap/cheaper.
4. The meanings to all the types of body boards, and what there like and the differences between them (for example pp, pe, dow, battail etc.)
This should help you out with Q4, and possibly some others: http://www.waveblasters.com/glossary.html

Last edited:

brycedh

Likes Dirt
http://bodyboarders.com.au/store/index.jsp;jsessionid=6E599B61C14D14945441F01C30ABAE59.node1

http://www.bodyboardshop.com/

These are the best 2 sites with great prices and good customer service. Also all of the brands are good but look for something over $200 if you want a decent bodyboard, cheapies will just bend, crease, bubble and maybe snap.

So far what you have been told is correct ie boards with channels and stringers.

Stringers help to not bend your board if it stays out too long in sunlight and makes it stronger. Channels simply increase speed.

As for your height maybe a 41-42inch board will be good or whatever is ON your belly button not 5cm under or above.

PP (Polypropylene) is also the better out of the too when compared to PE (Polyethylene).

Nose bulbs on a board are also a great help as you can grip on the corners better.

The differences with bat tails and crescent tails are the shap of the bottom of the board. Crescent is the curved one and bat is the one that has the bumpy bit at the bottom. I'm quite sure bat tails are just easier for tricks like spinners not sure about the rest.

So look out for boards with a stringer (possibly 2), channels, 50/50 or 60/40 rails, surlyn PP slick (might be too expensive) and something that looks nice :D

Always remember to never skimboard on bodyboarders as it rips the slick off the bottom which no one wants to happen.

Good luck with whatever you buy and hope I helped.

Last edited:

Lorday

Eats Squid
My questions are;
1. Less flex = better board. Look for the board to suit "your" riding.
2. SDS, free bag plus flippers with all purchase's. Other than that I can only tell you place's IN sydney.
3. Depends how you like your boards, personally I like mine shorter, look for boards that are 38-40" (ON your belly button)
Tail types:
Bat tail: those really curvy style ones, tend to give more speed, are more "spinnable" but lack control. They tend to kick you out of a wave, so if you like to spin they are good.

Cresent tail: Average in all aspects, but stable. (most common)

Square tail: Sticks you on the wave, can be spun easily, this means you can't really get out of the wave.

Channels, like those on boats help define the charaterics of a board.

PP, PE are the materials used in making the board.

Rails; are either: 60:40, 50:50 or 40:60. They define acouple of characteristics including bouancy etc.

Stringers: A graphite/carbon (or something like that, can't remember, haven't BBoarded in a while) that stiffens the board.

BOARDS I RECOMEND: Look for brands such as: elemeniopee (LMNOP), Mike Steward Science.

Post some more stuff when I have time or just PM me and I'll reply quicker.

dillon22

Likes Dirt
Wow thanks for the awesome and quick replies. I think I know a lot more about what I'm looking for know, and what everything means. So thankyou all :)

and Lorday, please post more :)
I'd like to know what more there was that hasnt been covered :p:rolleyes:

Doggy

Inconceivable!
Lorday pretty much covered it all there. Stringers arent going to be a necessity for you if you arent planning on hitting larger waves or heavy waves. Not really needed on your first board perhaps, that saves some money. I have never had a board with a stringer in it and its never caused a hassle, granted I have creased my current board but that was big fuck off surf that was heavy and in shallow water and that doesnt always happen.
I think size wise its all about how it feels for you. I have only ever sized a board in two ways, it has to be to my belly button or very very close and has to feel comfy holding it under my arm (holding it as if you were carrying it). Not very technical ways of sizing but its worked every time for me.
Board wise I have never had any hassles with Manta boards, have had them for the last probably 7 years at least only replaced them through boards being stolen and such, had a Mike Stewart Science board before that (when he first bought out his own boards) and wasnt really happy with that, wrote it off in one heavy swell session (slick started peeling off). Even better I still have one very very old Moorey Boogie board circa 1980 or so and it still gets used for a laugh sometimes
Check out the 4play boards, LMNOP, NMD...all good boards but custom shaped boards may be a wee bit out of your price though

dillon22

Likes Dirt
Cheers for that mate.
I'm just looking at some of the boards in the links above now, and would there be really a huge difference for me getting a polyethylene board compared with the better polypro?

It says on the funkshen site,
the pps characteristics =
Pros> Light, strong, fast, high project properties, holds it's shape, virtually waterproof
Cons> Can be too stiff in really cold water, depending on personal board requirements

and the pe's =

Pros> More control, less bounce, softer on landings, great for cold water
Cons> Can feel heavy in small waves, heat can effect its shape and make it to flexy

Anyone got any advice on personal experience or what they know?
There are alot of good looking boards, that sound like they have the right sort of stuff in them for a good price, but its just there polyethylene (dow).

Doggy

Inconceivable!
I would probably suggest the Polyethelene going by Funkshens words. More control, softer landings. Both good points if you are starting to learn airs and spins. It really is personnal opinion I guess, what I like, what you like...what everyone else likes is all different
I like a bit of flex in my boards, I do rather enjoy the odd shorie session in ankle deep water with big feck off waves and that flexes the board just a little bit:D

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
PP (Polypropylene) is also the better out of the too when compared to PE (Polyethylene).
Not always. I think it comes down to personal preference. I've got mates who outsurf me but prefer a dow core over a pp core. Where as I'm different, I much prefer a pp as I find it much stiffer and lighter.

Board sizing is another preference thing. I'm 180cm but my current board is 39.5" (or there abouts). I just like the feel of a smaller board. As others have suggested use your belly button height when sizing a board. It's not an exact indicator but aslong as you don't stray too far up or down you'll be sweet.

Things I'd be looking for in a board are the following. PP core, crescent tail, channels, nose bulbs and stringer if your budget allows it. Crescent tends to hold you on the face a little better which in turn makes it a little harder to throw down shit like spins but on the plus side you won't find your arse sliding out. Crescent tails are suited to a versatile rider aswell, so if you get bored it's gunna be easier to throw a leg up and DK.Forget mesh, I see it as a completely un-neccasary option.

dillon22

Likes Dirt
I do rather enjoy the odd shorie session in ankle deep water with big feck off waves and that flexes the board just a little bit:D
haha I don't think I'll be doing much of that, even if there was a beach like that near me :rolleyes:

And yeah judging by funkshens words, I like the sound of the polyethylene in that it has more control and softer landings, but didn't like the sound of its shape being effected by heat, but then again if it was couldnt I just take it out and the water after a few minutes would of cooled it down? :confused:. And with the polypro I liked the sound of it being light, strong, fast and holding its shape, and although it can stiffen up in cold water, I was thinking that I wouldn't be going in that cold water, although phillip island in winter can get pretty cold :p, and even if it did would still be ok to ride.

Anyway I'm completely confused about what one would suit, so I'm thinking next time I'm at the Island I'll go see what one of the guys in island or islantis rekon from their experience.

Here is a 09 NMD Spec LTD that looks pretty good for price..
http://bodyboarders.sitesuitestores...?category_id=1107134560&product_id=1107460264

And heres a 09 Four play Dallas Tech that also looks pretty good and is a pro signature board so you'd think it would be ok..
http://bodyboarders.sitesuitestores...?category_id=1107134564&product_id=1107460203

What you think?
And also if you go back a page there is a few more but I thought those 2 seemed the best polypro and polyethylene boards.

EDIT: Cheers Breaka, I'll take those things in mind.

Last edited:

dillon22

Likes Dirt
'Used to make bodyboards for 30 years, it's still the industry standard core. It's compact and comes in different densities, and has excellent projection and super performance, but isn't as long-lasting as polypro unless combined with some kind of internal stiffener like mesh or a stringer'

That's what it says about polyethylene in the link you just gave me before breaka,
So are they saying that as long as it has a stringer it will still be almost as if not just as long lasting as polypro? And if so then because that four play dallas board I posted a link to before was dow, but had a stringer it would last a while?

EDIT: found another board that might be alright?
http://bodyboarders.sitesuitestores...?category_id=1107134561&product_id=1107460182

EDIT EDIT: and another?
http://bodyboarders.sitesuitestores...?category_id=1107134567&product_id=1107460355

http://bodyboarders.sitesuitestores...?category_id=1107134567&product_id=1107460360

Last edited:

jrewing

Eats Squid
speak to the guys in your shop. they'll steer you right.
personally i'd go a dow cause of the colder waters, PP's would be too stiff. as for tails cresents hold their turn better, bat tails spin better. I cant tell you which would be better for you tho.
I ride a science but all the boards listed are as good as each other. ask if they have test boards.

Last edited:

cressa

Likes Dirt
All the boards you have linked will serve you fine. It's really a matter of choosing something your size (the shop will help you there) and of average dimensions. Once you have a bit more experience than board selection becomes more important, but seriously is not that big of a deal for your first. I would encourage you to get a dow core board (PE), I think they just feel and perform better all round.

Good luck with it, don't stress it too much it's only your first board, no matter what you get, as long as it's your size you will be pretty right.

brycedh

Likes Dirt
All of those boards are just as good as each other so now it just comes down to personal preference and what you whant to pay.

Saving the extra $50 between some of those boards could come in handy if you don't have a double swivel leash. If you don't already have a decent leash you have to choose from bicep and wrist, my personal experience goes towards bicep.

Anyways soon you going to have a nice board :D

dillon22

Likes Dirt
Cheers for all the help. I think I'm pretty right now :)
And yeah I was thinking the P.E would be good for me anyway, and to brycedh I was thinking that exact thing, with the extra money I save I will get a decent leash for it.