Bollards on bike paths

Brooksy007

Likes Dirt
Bollards are put in to stop cars access the park / garden areas to do burnouts and generally cause massive damage. Its bloody expensive to replace grass every time some twat wants to go for a joy-ride...

That said, the should only be necessary (if at all) near intersections/road/driveways and the like. They should also be in a contrasting colour, have reflective tape to enable visibility at night, and of course maintained. This is all in the standards, however there are many remaining from times past, and some times Councils/DELWP/VicRoads (or their contractors) install shit, non compliant bollards.

Someone said earlier that signage should be enough - unfortunately that isn't the case... If someone runs into one you can be damn sure the injured person's solicitor is going to use everything to demonstrate it is the asset manager's fault! No-one appears capable of looking out for themselves anymore.

Chicanes and "banana rails" are a f'n nightmare and have led to NUMEROUS significant injuries and legal cases...

Flow-Rider

Burner
Someone said earlier that signage should be enough - unfortunately that isn't the case... If someone runs into one you can be damn sure the injured person's solicitor is going to use everything to demonstrate it is the asset manager's fault! No-one appears capable of looking out for themselves anymore.

Chicanes and "banana rails" are a f'n nightmare and have led to NUMEROUS significant injuries and legal cases...
If the bollard is claimed to be out of the line of sight for some, would a little kid on a bike path be the same issue.

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
Me too. Have nearly hit a few bollards that weren't painted or stickered. Not fun. I think the banana rails would be less unpleasant to run into, but also easier to avoid as typically I ride closer to the centre of the path than the edge unless there is someone else on the path too.
I hate banana rails. It's like they've got an attraction field around them, so that even if you haven't seen another rider on the path for kilometres, the moment one of these bastard things shows up there will be another rider or pedestrian trying to pass through at the exact moment you arrive. It's uncanny.

In a couple of places around here where they've been replaced with bollards, at least the path has been modified and widened at the point they've been installed. You'd have to be a special type of rider to clip one of them.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Just released ACT budget has 4.7 million to upgrade cycle paths out my way.... complete with bollards.

Brooksy007

Likes Dirt
If the bollard is claimed to be out of the line of sight for some, would a little kid on a bike path be the same issue.
It would be pretty hard to argue that a bollard is "out of your line of sight" if you've managed to run into it (unless it was covered by vegetation) - same with a child. If you run into a bollard you'd be better placed trying to argue it was not "contrasting" with the background and as such, even though it is right in front of you it was impossible to see. This has been the case at night - when there is no reflective tape and/or insufficient lighting - or if they are the same colour as the path/vegetation...

The banana rails - in many locations - were installed VERY close together in some useless attempt at stopping moto's / scooters using pathways. I've seen them so close you need to physically lift your bike over them... Spastics!

Brooksy007

Likes Dirt
If a child ran across your path from an adjacent playground or something, you might be able to argue there were insufficient means to prevent children doing so, or that the playground was too close to the path (or vice versa)...

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
The banana rails - in many locations - were installed VERY close together in some useless attempt at stopping moto's / scooters using pathways. I've seen them so close you need to physically lift your bike over them... Spastics!
I am all for well placed and visible bollards to path entrances. Living in the west of Melb, anywhere that there isn't any is torn to shit by hoons.

Have a few close calls with them, usually the ones at seemingly random locations on group rides, when the bugger in front doesn't yell a warning.

Also a few near driveways crossing on the great vic rail trail, with no reflectors, contrast coloring, I can see someone plowing into one on dusk in the shadows.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
So much of where I ride is lettered with poorly marked bollards! Noticed on Monday that some cockbrainedfannyface has painted a bunch of them black on one of my regular routes! Another I ride past regularly has a large branch jammed into the top of it. At first I was going to remove the branch, then noticed the bollard (which I might add is a recent addition to further restrict space between some existing bollards that a larger version motorcycle would struggle to squeeze between anyway) would be almost invisible without the branch.

Brooksy007

Likes Dirt
While you may have already done so, reporting these issues to the relevant authority is highly recommended.

Even if they do nothing about it, if someone DOES happen to run into it then at least they're MUCH more likely to have a successful claim given it is then able to be proven they were aware of the hazard...

John U

MTB Precision
While you may have already done so, reporting these issues to the relevant authority is highly recommended.

Even if they do nothing about it, if someone DOES happen to run into it then at least they're MUCH more likely to have a successful claim given it is then able to be proven they were aware of the hazard...
Good idea. I might need to make some calls.

Flow-Rider

Burner
This is what will happen if you remove bollards.

[video=youtube;EXzObryNvxk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXzObryNvxk[/video]

John U

MTB Precision
This is what will happen if you remove bollards.

[video=youtube;EXzObryNvxk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXzObryNvxk[/video]
Some of those examples look like confusing design at the entry point. The last one, well yeah, a few people might behave badly. Bollards aren't necessarily going to stop that. Cunts will always find a way to be cunts. They're innovative like that.

Beej1

Some of those examples look like confusing design at the entry point.
What would've been even awesomer design is a confusing entry point, higher gutters, and a bollard right at the very end which the drivers don't see till they get there. Forcing them to reverse a long way up a narrow lane scratching the shit out of their Porsche SUV rims.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Flow-Rider

Burner
What would've been even awesomer design is a confusing entry point, higher gutters, and a bollard right at the very end which the drivers don't see till they get there. Forcing them to reverse a long way up a narrow lane scratching the shit out of their Porsche SUV rims.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
That would 've been great.