Bontrager WaveCel

bear the bear

Is a real bear
I went to the Trek store at Rouse Hill. Tried all the wavecell helmets, but none quite fit me. Small does not get on my head. Medium is loose and can only held in place by cranking the rear knob until it clamped a loop around my skull. Oh well. No other Bontrager models really fit nicely either, my search will have to go on. Its only one day old so far.

Just have to find a helmet that fits my head.
Go back to Specialized as it fits....

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Lol - that is one epic comment haha - never heard anything so true!

I agree with MIPS, but MIPS is also a bit boggeyman. Your product has been out for a while - where is the real world data. This is the whole reason why testing standards exist - they standardize the test so the consumer can sort bs from actual performance. Still not convinced about MIPS and I've broken one with MIPS and two without in similar OTB scenarios. In both cases they did save my noggin though.

If I had to bro science it, I rekon the bonty method is better for head injuries.

Last edited:

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If I was bro sciencing it I would say any safety gains from mips or wavecel is marginal.. But if buying a new helmet why not go with the one that is a bees dick better..
Does anyone know if the mips research/lab stuff is really independent or just vested interests paying for tests that make their product look good?

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Does anyone know if the mips research/lab stuff is really independent or just vested interests paying for tests that make their product look good?
There are third party replicated tests and they seem legit. But to answer your question, MIPS ARE vested interests - they sell a specific product not a performance based guarantee. That is MIPS is a specific thing you buy from them, not a performance standard that you can achieve with other technology.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There are third party replicated tests and they seem legit. But to answer your question, MIPS ARE vested interests - they sell a specific product not a performance based guarantee. That is MIPS is a specific thing you buy from them, not a performance standard that you can achieve with other technology.
Yeah of course mips is a vested interest, they are selling their own product.. what I am asking is if there independent lab tests that actually show mips works.. You say there is and they are legit, right? The Bontrager wavecel lab results were paid for by Trek and the testers also had a vested interest in the product.. Doesn’t mean the results are shit, it just means the testers are conflicted..

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Great discussion. I reckon the brainwave factor of a crumple zone can give a false sense of confidence in it, a kind of why wouldn't it work because cars. But then why haven't we seen it in motorsport lids?

Pointing out impact vs concussion is a good consideration.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
what I am asking is if there independent lab tests that actually show mips works
I had a look a while ago when researching helmets and there seem to be 'independent studies' - always hard to tell who pays for them though. The issue isn't so much 'does it work', it's more like 'is it a decent difference and is it as big as they claim. I could probably sticky tape some foam tape to the outside of the helmet and tests would probably say it improves performance. How much would be the question.