Bottle Cages?

user name

Likes Dirt
Ok, so i have a new bike (Cell xc-2) which is awesome apart for one minor niggle so far. No mounts for a bottle cage which id really like for shorter loops around home etc. So far i have a had few thoughts on my options;

Option 1; Drill the frame and use Riv-nuts to attach a cage. (concern: may weaken down tube)
Option 2; Get a bloke with a TIG welder to attach some threads for me (avoiding this for the burnt paint factor)
Option 3; get a suitable cage, modify it and hose clamp it to the frame with hose clamps and old inner tubes for protection.

Option 4; Ask Rotorburn's Vast wealth of knowledge as to whats already out there product wise to solve my issues.

All help appreciated!

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Is it a steel frame? You could get some bottle mount braze ons.

Or, single seatpost mount.

Elite VIP Bottle Cage Clamps allow you to connect your water bottle cages just about anywhere on your bicycle. They work up to a 50mm diameter and come with rubber pads to eliminate scratching. They also come with tension-tightening screws.

BottleFix is a basic model that clamps on right to the bike. It is adjustable with an allen key before mounting the bottle. This model with work on handlebars, frames, seat posts, and anything else between 15mm-60mm.

Rixen and Kaul also offer the KLICKfix model, which is a quick-release version of the BottleFix. You can connect any regular water bottle cage to the quick-release adapter and then clip that adapter into the mounting system. Simply install and you can clip-in and out the cage. I’m still not entirely sure what the advantage of this system. I guess it simply allows you to completely take off the cage if you needed to for some reason.

Or any brand of seatpost style clamp on bidons.

T-Rex

Template denier
Your Option 3 or a Camelbak. Drilling and welding in the middle of a (possibly) butted downtube is structurally unwise.

Forget about the triathlon bottle holders - if you go off a drop and catch your thighs on them trying to get your arse behind the saddle, you might find your head beats your front wheel to the landing.

JP

Likes Dirt
Your Option 3 or a Camelbak. Drilling and welding in the middle of a (possibly) butted downtube is structurally unwise.
Would drilling 2 6mm holes in the downtube be that bad? Isn't that what frame builders do in the first place? Adding an M5 rivnut/nutsert would add some strength to the hole but any compromise would be very low, wouldn't it?

I had this same discussion with a mate who is a fitter and turner and he was of the opinion it would be OK.

JP

Likes Dirt
I added a set of bottle mounts to my alloy 29er frame to accomodate a Revelate Designs Tangle Bag and in the few months I've had them there has been no probs.

user name, if you decide to use rivnuts let me know. I have a shit load of them. I made a "tool" of sorts to insert them, as the proper tool costs more than my frame!

user name

Likes Dirt
I added a set of bottle mounts to my alloy 29er frame to accomodate a Revelate Designs Tangle Bag and in the few months I've had them there has been no probs.

user name, if you decide to use rivnuts let me know. I have a shit load of them. I made a "tool" of sorts to insert them, as the proper tool costs more than my frame!

Im thinking this might be the easist and most cost effective option. thanks for the offer of riv-nuts & a tool but i work at Gasweld in Penrith and i think i might 'borrow' a tool for an evening & get the job done.:biggrin:

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Ooh, I do! yes!

I'll show your mine if you show me yours.....

Dunno how it happened, just googled broken down tube and this came up. Looks pretty close to the bidon hole...

Last edited:

markusm

Likes Bikes
Just get a traditional cage and cable tie it to the frame for the shorter trips. Cut the cable ties off if doing a ride where you are using the camelbak.

I definately wouldn't be drilling into the frame

redbruce

Eats Squid
Just get a traditional cage and cable tie it to the frame for the shorter trips. Cut the cable ties off if doing a ride where you are using the camelbak.

I definately wouldn't be drilling into the frame
+1 the down tube has torsional, compression and bending forces applied to it.

Grip might be worth contacting for advice, fitment.

How come it doesnt have them to start with anyhow?

Bjorn

Likes Dirt
Considering your bike is new, I'd think twice before drilling into the frame. If you take it in for any kind of warranty and they notice you have "altered or modified' the frame, you might find yourself hard pressed to get any help whether the problem is related or not.