Bottom Bracket question

jackaroo

Likes Dirt
Hey guys, well the time came where i had to knock my bottom bracket into place on my ghetto and when it was done the bearings were a bit tight but still moving. Do you know weather they will wear in and move a bit more freely?

Thanks Jack.

2be

Likes Bikes
not sure what you mean by 'knock it into place?' please clarify. Basically the BB shouldn't be tight normally, so something is wrong.

adman

Likes Dirt
Bottom brackets and headsets are never places where you want to be knocking things in in a ghetto way. Mainly because you are dealing with your frame and you can be up for some costly repairs if things go wrong.

If I were you I'd take it to a proper bike shop where hopefully they have a bottom bracket press/bearing press and can reinstall the bearings. A bearing has to have equal load across the races or else it will feel crumbly and tight. Even if they look or feel like they've gone in nice and straight, it only takes 1 degree of error to make them feel crap.

Get it done right, not a place for ghetto mechanics!

yakuza857

Likes Bikes and Dirt
its a spanish press fit bearing. jack the problem you have is not the bearings been tight, well they are but the thing thats causing them to be overly tight are the spacers are been pressed agisnt the bearing causing it to be stiffer. you can pull it all down agian and play around with the spacing until you get it right.

NSR

Likes Dirt
The bearings on both my bmx and my old hardtail were fairly stiff when I bought them brand new, and I thought I'd been given dodgy bearings, but they loosened up heaps and now spin freely. I guess it could be the grease in them. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
When you put them in, make sure they're tapped in all the way (you'll need to be fairly firm with it), and before you put them in, put a bit of grease on the outside of the bearing shells so they go in easier. ;)