bought a 29er frame - now what...

justinb

Likes Bikes
Hi,

Firstly, not sure if there is a build section so if this is supposed to be else where, let me know.

Now - what to do.. what to do. In terms of major components

Fork - I've got that one pegged I think, 2012 Fox Talas 29 95/120 FIT Terralogic

Wheels - I've no idea. DT, Shimano, Crank Bros... I'm happy to hear what people think... they will need to be 142mm at the rear..

Brakes - again - I've had shimano XT and XTR all my life... maybe a switch to avid? happy to hear thoughts? someone was telling me that 185 front by shimano don't fit fox forks very well.. or was it the other way around?

Finally.. drive train... I'm fairly certain it will be XT dyna-sys .. but the frank says the front D is a 'E' type ? no idea what that is...

Finally.. there is all the other stuff.. headset (do they really make a difference?) stem, handlbars (how do you pick the riser height/sweep?)

Anyhow.. happy to hear thoughts
JB

willsy01

Eats Squid
The new Shimano brakes are pretty pimp by all accounts. Grabbier than an electrified grabbing machine......

SOTTA

Likes Dirt
Get the shimano new XT brakes. They are awesome! As for rotors, my 185 shimano rotor fits with my fox fork just fine.

justinb

Likes Bikes
Get the shimano new XT brakes. They are awesome! As for rotors, my 185 shimano rotor fits with my fox fork just fine.
Why are they so awesome? Nice feel? Progressive in application? I found my xtr from 2007 would overheat on long runs downhill ( they are pulling up 110kgs ). But perhaps no brakes would cope with that hehe

willsy01

Eats Squid
Why are they so awesome? Nice feel? Progressive in application? I found my xtr from 2007 would overheat on long runs downhill ( they are pulling up 110kgs ). But perhaps no brakes would cope with that hehe
Ceramic pistons, Ice-Tec rotors, Ice-Tec pads.......you'd be doing well to get them overheating.

justinb

Likes Bikes
Ceramic pistons, Ice-Tec rotors, Ice-Tec pads.......you'd be doing well to get them overheating.
The shimano XT's are running that? or the XTR's are? that sounds bloody impressive... :) Ceramic... can't afford that sort of stuff on my cars :)

Danman89

Likes Bikes
Have a look at the Cell bikes website as I think they have the new XT brakes for $199. Well that was in the email they sent out today.

Very tempted to buy a set but I know I dont need them atm :(

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
ewb-4e4c3035b8ad4-wheelset_amxc_blk.jpg

Loaded have 29er wheels ... but not sure if the 142rear is also in QR ... presume thats what your rear takes and not a 12mm thru axle ??
Also available in the other 6 loaded colour range

SOTTA

Likes Dirt
What he said. Lever feel is awesome. HEAPS of power and they seem very resistant to overheating. Plenty better than anything else I have used!