Bought a bike today and totally clueless.

dain2772

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for that, although I just looked and I don't have any metho:rolleyes:...

Thanks for the welcome, if you met me in person you might change your opinion of me:D, whats wrong with new members?

Craig

Oh and this bike (from earlier link) seems to be an older model from looking at the Haro website,

http://boulderbikesmith.com/images/bikes/04escape82.jpg
acetone also works pretty well. I used it to get the sticky stuff off my car.

Many existing members don't like the new members, bcoz dey get on n tlk liek dis, u no? and they try to trade without trading access and generally messy the place up. probably more an indication of the age of many new farkiners than anything against new people. Just wait for the next school holidays for an influx.

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for that, although I just looked and I don't have any metho:rolleyes:...
Eucalyptus Oil is another lesser known thing that works for sticky stuff, leaves your house / shed smelling fresh too:D

With the forks it's a great idea to keep the stanchions clean (you know the bits that slide in and out of the lower legs). Even if you don't wash your bike as often as you should at least give the stanchions a regular wipe over with a dry rag. CRC Silicone Spray although expensive ($20 a can:eek:) seems to do a good job at cleaning and lubing the stanchions at the same time, and doesn't tend to attract any more dust than normal. If they start to feel like they're not going in and out as smoothly as they used to then you would look at getting either silicone spray (hardware or car shop) or a specific product from your bike shop (like Triflow or something similar), it keeps even the most basic forks working well for longer - and it took me a while to figure out that using chain lube was not the best way to do it :eek:.

You can get by with tools you have at home easily unless you start doing more specific stuff on the bike yourself (like removing the cranks and installing new ones, head set etc, basically all the bits you shouldn't need to worry about anyway). A $10 Allen key set can be one of the best investments if you don't already have one at home. The multitool is just like the bike version of the Leatherman or Swiss army knife, most of the tools you are likely to need to do a trailside repair (like change a tire say, or tighten something that's come loose).

I don't always wash my bike as often as I should these days, but that's because it gets pretty dusty after just about every ride. But I certainly understand now why men like to be out in the shed tinkering with their cars, because doing something on my bike (cleaning or servicing) is kind of like therapy when you're not out riding.

haroescape

Likes Bikes
acetone also works pretty well. I used it to get the sticky stuff off my car.

Many existing members don't like the new members, bcoz dey get on n tlk liek dis, u no? and they try to trade without trading access and generally messy the place up. probably more an indication of the age of many new farkiners than anything against new people. Just wait for the next school holidays for an influx.
Oh right ok I get it, that would be annoying.

haroescape

Likes Bikes
Eucalyptus Oil is another lesser known thing that works for sticky stuff, leaves your house / shed smelling fresh too:D

With the forks it's a great idea to keep the stanchions clean (you know the bits that slide in and out of the lower legs). Even if you don't wash your bike as often as you should at least give the stanchions a regular wipe over with a dry rag. CRC Silicone Spray although expensive ($20 a can:eek:) seems to do a good job at cleaning and lubing the stanchions at the same time, and doesn't tend to attract any more dust than normal. If they start to feel like they're not going in and out as smoothly as they used to then you would look at getting either silicone spray (hardware or car shop) or a specific product from your bike shop (like Triflow or something similar), it keeps even the most basic forks working well for longer - and it took me a while to figure out that using chain lube was not the best way to do it :eek:.

You can get by with tools you have at home easily unless you start doing more specific stuff on the bike yourself (like removing the cranks and installing new ones, head set etc, basically all the bits you shouldn't need to worry about anyway). A $10 Allen key set can be one of the best investments if you don't already have one at home. The multitool is just like the bike version of the Leatherman or Swiss army knife, most of the tools you are likely to need to do a trailside repair (like change a tire say, or tighten something that's come loose).

I don't always wash my bike as often as I should these days, but that's because it gets pretty dusty after just about every ride. But I certainly understand now why men like to be out in the shed tinkering with their cars, because doing something on my bike (cleaning or servicing) is kind of like therapy when you're not out riding.

I have Eucalyptus oil!!!!!!!!!:D:D thanks for that, now I have an excuse to go tinker in the shed after dinner!

Also thanks so much for the other pieces of advice I was wondering about those things and you saved me asking!

Have to go getting yelled at... this bike is already getting me in a bit of trouble...

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have Eucalyptus oil!!!!!!!!!:D:D thanks for that, now I have an excuse to go tinker in the shed after dinner!

Also thanks so much for the other pieces of advice I was wondering about those things and you saved me asking!

Have to go getting yelled at... this bike is already getting me in a bit of trouble...
Hey you know SidChrome in regards to general tools, well ParkTool is the bike equivalent, expensive of course. Nevertheless they have a great website that has repair how to's, many of us know about it but often forget. So if you're interested in some general reading on how to fix stuff (without buying a manual) have an explore around the website below.

http://www.parktool.com/repair/

There is even a topic of bike washing and cleaning (just improvise on the park tools of course!)

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=85

haroescape

Likes Bikes
Hey you know SidChrome in regards to general tools, well ParkTool is the bike equivalent, expensive of course. Nevertheless they have a great website that has repair how to's, many of us know about it but often forget. So if you're interested in some general reading on how to fix stuff (without buying a manual) have an explore around the website below.

http://www.parktool.com/repair/

There is even a topic of bike washing and cleaning (just improvise on the park tools of course!)

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=85

Thanks Pebble!

Sorry to dig the thread up again but I've been busy riding, rode down some steps, got some air of a jump and attempted some monos!:D

Really glad I bought this bike now, as I seem to get more stupid every time I ride it, didn't even think I'd be doing these things but the bike is so good and strong and I trust it and I'm a lot stronger than when I last rode.

Soooooo much fun!!!:D:D:D

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks Pebble!

Sorry to dig the thread up again but I've been busy riding, rode down some steps, got some air of a jump and attempted some monos!:D

Really glad I bought this bike now, as I seem to get more stupid every time I ride it, didn't even think I'd be doing these things but the bike is so good and strong and I trust it and I'm a lot stronger than when I last rode.

Soooooo much fun!!!:D:D:D
Doesn't it feel great when you do something new, even if it's a small jump you haven't done before or you bunny hop that bit higher, even the small things like learning and accomplishing something mechanical on your bike - even figuring out that the seat clamp comes straight off the seat tube easily!

A month ago I finally got the guts to hit a jump at the end of my street with some speed (it's a single jump with landing onto flat ground) and got that bit more air. Previous half arse attempts saw me nearly going arse over tits. Certainly an accomplishment and just the sort of things that leads you to progress through more confidence in your ability.

Monos are the ones where you get the rear wheel off the ground and balance on the front wheel? I'm more of a endo type person, still haven't figured out the balance point on my bike though and can't keep the front up for very long. But riding my husbands Alias (hardtail) gee the front wheel is easier to lift up than on my trance (dually), kind of funny considering his has a longer stem!

Before I babble on too much, it's great to hear you're getting out there and having fun, that's what it's all about, the fitness and exercise is just a great side benefit that also makes you feel good.

MMelissa

Likes Bikes
if you were intending to downhill or ride street/urban on it then a more capable fork would be a good idea. Soemthing that is a little stronger and perhaps has a tad more travel.

and street is pretty hard on parts, and bits like deraileurs get bashed all the time. there aren't many out there that can survive the levels of abuse they are dealt.
What he said!

We have several bikes and we seem to swap parts around from time to time (or when we upgrade forks for other bikes). We upgraded the front forks so they could handle a bit more a beating. The stance forks were fine for cross-country/ trails and street but they wouldn't have stood up to downhilling.

haroescape

Likes Bikes
Doesn't it feel great when you do something new, even if it's a small jump you haven't done before or you bunny hop that bit higher, even the small things like learning and accomplishing something mechanical on your bike - even figuring out that the seat clamp comes straight off the seat tube easily!

A month ago I finally got the guts to hit a jump at the end of my street with some speed (it's a single jump with landing onto flat ground) and got that bit more air. Previous half arse attempts saw me nearly going arse over tits. Certainly an accomplishment and just the sort of things that leads you to progress through more confidence in your ability.

Monos are the ones where you get the rear wheel off the ground and balance on the front wheel? I'm more of a endo type person, still haven't figured out the balance point on my bike though and can't keep the front up for very long. But riding my husbands Alias (hardtail) gee the front wheel is easier to lift up than on my trance (dually), kind of funny considering his has a longer stem!

Before I babble on too much, it's great to hear you're getting out there and having fun, that's what it's all about, the fitness and exercise is just a great side benefit that also makes you feel good.
Hi Pebble,

I've been crook so haven't really been able to ride and its killing me!

Yeah its fun to get your head around the different parts, after I read this I went and straightened up the clamp on the seat post, so thanks!

In regards to you doing the jumps, its funny but I have found it best to just go as hard as I can the first time now (within reason), otherwise I think about it too much or something and don't go fast enough and it all goes bad...

I think I told you the wrong trick, the thing I was doing is lifting the front wheel of the ground and pedalling...

Craig

haroescape

Likes Bikes
What he said!

We have several bikes and we seem to swap parts around from time to time (or when we upgrade forks for other bikes). We upgraded the front forks so they could handle a bit more a beating. The stance forks were fine for cross-country/ trails and street but they wouldn't have stood up to downhilling.
Hi Melissa,

At the moment I plan to just get a feel for the bike and then if I'm unhappy with a part replace it or wait until things break.

Craig

haroescape

Likes Bikes
Hi Melissa,

At the moment I plan to just get a feel for the bike and then if I'm unhappy with a part replace it or wait until things break.

Craig
Oh I just remembered I forgot to give the bike shop a plug,

:)It was Bears Bikes in Pakenham and they have been great! Dealing mostly with Sean.:)

Craig

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi Pebble,

I've been crook so haven't really been able to ride and its killing me!

Yeah its fun to get your head around the different parts, after I read this I went and straightened up the clamp on the seat post, so thanks!

In regards to you doing the jumps, its funny but I have found it best to just go as hard as I can the first time now (within reason), otherwise I think about it too much or something and don't go fast enough and it all goes bad...

I think I told you the wrong trick, the thing I was doing is lifting the front wheel of the ground and pedalling...

Craig
Nah actually I think I got it the wrong way around, ah don't know, confused about endo & mono:eek: but yeah I thought you must have meant lifting the front.

wryan89

Squid
you just had it backwards pebble. a mono is where you lift the front wheel and pedal. an endo is where you lock up the front wheel and lift up the back wheel.
have fun on the new bike!