Boulder Track You Yangs - How to ride one bit??

normdouglas

Likes Dirt
I love that rock... and it's so much fun teaching on it. It can be a real "ah hah" moment for many people.
The more confident you get on it, the faster you can take it and then you can start to "berm" it.

Kizzmtbr

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have done almost everthing at the youies (not the double on cressy's, double rock drop and bandages double.)

I have tried to burm it once and i didnt make it out the other side. Now that i know to ride along the top i should be able to do it. I just don't like the prospect of a 3-4 metre fall off it. In my opinion that's more risky than doing the roadgap/stepdown.

Ryan you'l have to show me how the pro XC rider's do it;)

normdouglas

Likes Dirt
I have done almost everthing at the youies (not the double on cressy's, double rock drop and bandages double.)

I have tried to burm it once and i didnt make it out the other side. Now that i know to ride along the top i should be able to do it. I just don't like the prospect of a 3-4 metre fall off it. In my opinion that's more risky than doing the roadgap/stepdown.

Ryan you'l have to show me how the pro XC rider's do it;)
When you understand the physics of it all... it's almost impossible to go over the top and fall to your death! You would have to go so fast for that to happen, in which case you would probably fall off as you hit the transistion.

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That video makes it look really easy... I need a copy of it when I am there next. Heck, it even makes the big rock look tame and there is no chance I am ever going down that!!!

I must say you guys who can ride You Yangs regularly are really lucky, its a great place and I am missing it already.

Kizzmtbr

Likes Bikes and Dirt
When you understand the physics of it all... it's almost impossible to go over the top and fall to your death! You would have to go so fast for that to happen, in which case you would probably fall off as you hit the transistion.
Thanks for the confidence booster norm. Is it easier to ride down than up?
That video makes it look really easy... I need a copy of it when I am there next. Heck, it even makes the big rock look tame and there is no chance I am ever going down that!!!

I must say you guys who can ride You Yangs regularly are really lucky, its a great place and I am missing it already.
yeah the youies are awesome. The boulder is actually really easy. You just have to lean back and dab the brakes a little.

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yeah the youies are awesome. The boulder is actually really easy. You just have to lean back and dab the brakes a little.
The boulder just looks really dangerous.. and I guess is if you do something stupid. Something to work up to next time I am down... maybe. I remember riding the rock on Lactic Acid and being freaked out by that in previous trips... this was my first trip where I was fine with that... so a long way to go :eek:

There is a big phsycological aspect with a lot of the features at You Yangs where by their context of rocks and terrain make them seem really scary where the same type of line in a pine forest just wouldn't be that off putting.