Boutique AM companies

FuelXC

Likes Bikes
Been looking for a AM rig, originally considered a Remedy but been considering boutique brand and/or a 29er.

Possibilities -
Knolly Delirium
Niner WFO 9
Craftworks FRX
Turner Sultan

Anything else? Really thinking a niner would be fun but can't find many with 150+ travel.

Ivan

Eats Squid
Banshee make a long travel niner.

Why boutique? The remedy is an awesome bike, and the big companies like Trek generally have their shit sorted, and are cheaper.

Last edited:

FuelXC

Likes Bikes
boutique because I like different and aesthetics are part of the puzzle for the second bike. That banshee looks niice.

Wiffle

Likes Dirt
Liteville 301 (either 140 or 160mm rear linkage)- awesome! Pivot Firebird or SC Nomad also options...

John U

MTB Precision
Ventana El Terremoto. Got one of the current model. Beautiful bike.
They are currently designing a new model with a few updates.
There's a couple threads on the Ventana forum on Mtbr showing some the CNC work that they do inhouse. Impressive.

BM Epic

Eats Squid
I got an Specialized stumpy evo which is in the middle of getting a rebuild( 2012 36 talas, and ceramic bb), but have you given the ibis mojo hd any thought, i have hopped on MrCoves one and digitalhippie swear by them, they are a masterpiece!

Ivan

Eats Squid
I got an Specialized stumpy evo which is in the middle of getting a rebuild( 2012 36 talas, and ceramic bb), but have you given the ibis mojo hd any thought, i have hopped on MrCoves one and digitalhippie swear by them, they are a masterpiece!
Did you not like the 32's on the Evo? I was considering buying and Evo, so your feedback would be great.

Ibis Mojo HD, full carbon frame, DW link, 160mm rear

http://www.ibiscycles.com/bikes/mojo_hd/

check out digitalhippies's site

plus mtbr

http://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay.php?f=125
You've got a 140 don't you Mr. Cove? Did you buy the extra links to turn into a 160?
Are you running 32mm forks or 35/36mm forks?

FuelXC

Likes Bikes
So top Runners are (in order):
Niner WFO
Knolly Delirium
deubel
Liteville 301
Ibis mojo HD
and a distant last banshee rune

trying to find local prices, that seems to be the fun part.

MrCove

South Shore Distribution
You've got a 140 don't you Mr. Cove? Did you buy the extra links to turn into a 160?
running it 160 mm f+r now, '11 Fox Float RLC, strangley it climbs even better!!
possibly down to getting the set up correct, unfortunately not been able to ride for 2 weeks 'cause of a knee injury

BM Epic

Eats Squid
Did you not like the 32's on the Evo? I was considering buying and Evo, so your feedback would be great.

Yeah the 32's are good, but i rode MrCoves ibis with his 2011 36 floats with kashima, i got a great deal on the new 2012 36 talas with kashima etc, well i think the 36's with 10 extra mills of travel and a heap of adjustability, will just top off what i consider a great bike.
I'm only looking to improve the front feel, i only mentioned to people that i was selling the 32's and had 4 definite offers!
My weight(86kgs) for the 32's dont really suit, at 30% sag i cant use all the travel, set at 40% it will use all travel but feels too soft, thats where the 36's come in, they have all the adjustments to sort it.
It is only because of the deal i got that i am doing this, otherwise i would have left it alone, it is an awesome bike regardless, the rear shock is out of this world, it is worth buying it alone!!
If you want me to go into detail, let me know and i will pm you!

Duebel rrp

I think the deubel goes for $2800 retail. Picked up a flyer at the coffee shop (??) that was on the counter. They also sell 2 complete bikes, basically the same except for forks (32 vs 36's) for around $5600. Claimed weight is a round 13.4kgs. Don't know if it only comes in orange though. Looks nice though. Would be nice to ride a bike with an Australian made sticker on it.

floody

Wheel size expert
I have no proof, but I would put money on the Remedy being a better all round package than most of those. But thats just me...I find that out there in reality,most boutique bikes have a serious shortcoming somewhere- be it in application, durability, support or otherwise- but mostly from miniscule development budget compared to the big companies.

It does sound like your very keen on owning a 'different' downtube sticker though, for some people (arguably many of the posters in here) that is as important as many other characteristics.

I'd be inclined to go with something that a) you can touch, feel, sit on and even ride pre-purchase, and b) is easily obtained and well supported.

Get Mounted

Likes Dirt
Though it's not a gucci boutique brand, have you considered a Specialized Enduro? Gotta be at least as fine as a Remedy but with 10ml more travel and (in my opinion) looks sweeter!