Boxxer Axle Removal: Help

Bailey.Roberts

Likes Bikes
after about a year on the same tires and no flats i never needed to remove the front wheel. i ordered purchased new tires to race on and i cant seem to remove the front wheel to put the new tires on. the forks are 2009 boxxer teams that came on a 09 glory and it is a stock axle. can someone help me by telling me how to remove the axle and take of my wheelset?

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
You have what Rockshox call a "maxle" You need some metric allen keys and the hope that the maxle hasn't stuck itself to your forks.
You need to undo one side of the maxle which when wound out is similar looking to a quick release skewer. Don't wind this all the way out, just loosen it. This takes the pressure off the tube that makes up the other half of the maxle which is split at one end to tighten it onto your forks when you do the smaller skewer type fitting.
Once one side is loosened you will need to simply slide the maxle out the other side. This is where you'll find out if it is stuck and needs man handling. A rubber mallet should move it if it plays stubborn but try not to bugger it, you won't get any smiles from it if you do!
Once you've figured it out, put it back together and pull it apart a few times to get the gist of it. Put some grease where you need it and you're laughing!

Bailey.Roberts

Likes Bikes
You have what Rockshox call a "maxle" You need some metric allen keys and the hope that the maxle hasn't stuck itself to your forks.
You need to undo one side of the maxle which when wound out is similar looking to a quick release skewer. Don't wind this all the way out, just loosen it. This takes the pressure off the tube that makes up the other half of the maxle which is split at one end to tighten it onto your forks when you do the smaller skewer type fitting.
Once one side is loosened you will need to simply slide the maxle out the other side. This is where you'll find out if it is stuck and needs man handling. A rubber mallet should move it if it plays stubborn but try not to bugger it, you won't get any smiles from it if you do!
Once you've figured it out, put it back together and pull it apart a few times to get the gist of it. Put some grease where you need it and you're laughing!
thank you, it came of easily.