Boxxer flood gate (HSC) how does it work.

Calvin M

Likes Dirt
Ok I have taken the HSC piston out of my 07 WC,s and like the feel but am yet to ride.
My question for people who have had boxxers apart is how does it adjust? I can see how the shims on the piston work but cant figure out how it all adjust. The only thing that happens when you wind the flood gate adjuster is the piston moves up or down in the cartrige 5mm. I cant see how this makes any diffrence to the oil flow.

A second thing is I turn the LSC around 180 deg and drilled a new hole for the locating screw to make the adjustment of the passage more accurate. Doent real affect to much apart from the feel on 0 or 5 clicks.

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i dont think you relise how much 5mm can change it, if you want to run boxxer races instead of wc's go ahead

Ivan

Eats Squid
Ok I have taken the HSC piston out of my 07 WC,s and like the feel but am yet to ride.
My question for people who have had boxxers apart is how does it adjust? I can see how the shims on the piston work but cant figure out how it all adjust. The only thing that happens when you wind the flood gate adjuster is the piston moves up or down in the cartrige 5mm. I cant see how this makes any diffrence to the oil flow.

A second thing is I turn the LSC around 180 deg and drilled a new hole for the locating screw to make the adjustment of the passage more accurate. Doent real affect to much apart from the feel on 0 or 5 clicks.
Read this thread -> http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166577&highlight=boxxer+hsc

It's a very worthwhile thread by Udi relating to the HSC in BoXXers and it's removal.

Last edited:

S.

ex offender
By 5mm, why do they even bother haveing it then.
Most of those kinds of preload measurements are made in fractions of a mm dude... the maximum range available is 3mm for a start, and even that makes an enormous difference. For what it's worth, turning the LSC head around 180 degrees won't actually work properly, it'll simply cover ALL the ports instead of exposing the one you're meant to be able to adjust the coverage of.

Ivan: I think what NH_ was saying was that the Race has the floodgate set to the hardest position by default, and if you bugger around with the WC so it's set up that way too, you'll essentially be riding a Race damper, with the extra added goodness of too much HSC from the shim stack.

Calvin M

Likes Dirt
Thanks Ivan I have now read more tonight then I do in a year:D. Great thread I now understand all I need to know and can go about changing the speed stack to suit what I want.
S you misunderstod me turning the lsd around it all still operates the same. I turn the hole unit 180 not just the shaft. I never messured the travel of the flood gate it looked like 4mm and I just said 5mm this wasnt a big issue in that I was arsking.
NH I didnt know until reading the ridemonkey thread that the speed stack body came incontacted with the lsc thats why I couldnt see how it changed anything.

Last edited:

Ivan

Eats Squid
Ivan: I think what NH_ was saying was that the Race has the floodgate set to the hardest position by default, and if you bugger around with the WC so it's set up that way too, you'll essentially be riding a Race damper, with the extra added goodness of too much HSC from the shim stack.
Ahhh....
I did not realise that the race has the floodgate. Does that mean that the floodgate is internaly adjustable on the race?