Boxxer fork fail?

tmc_2

Likes Dirt
Hi Guys,

A while back i remember seeing a post of some one using a boxxer fork that failed. The lowers detached causing the rider some serious injury.
I believe that particular incident was put down to dodgy rebuild at service.

Being the recent owner of boxxer world cups this was in the back of my mind.
Then i sumbled across this vid.

Does any one know how the lowers could fail in such a way that they broke in half like this?
Any one had any bad experiences?

I am guesing this is such a rare occurance any way so there is probably no need for extra precautions.... of is there?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1nnGrM5reM

Last edited:

mountain_bike man

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Majority of those forks were pre 06 and these problems have since been fixed. As for the newer forks, you really dont know how the damage has occurred, most likely in a crash. I wouldn't worry.

tmc_2

Likes Dirt
I know they world cups are nice and light , thats why i got rid of my travis ti.
Pre 06 hey, so anythign after shoudl be sweet.

Did some google searching and cant find any other instances of similiar failures :)

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
BoXXers are a very popular and established fork. With any mass produced product of this nature, there are always going to be issues, especially considering the abusive nature of DH/FR. There were weekpoints as outlined above but a small video of a handful of broken forks is hardly enough to phase any opinion on the fork. As stated also, most of those forks were pre-2006.

I think Udi put it perfectly in a rant some time ago about no other fork being seen as frequent on the podium in state, national and world circuits.

Of course there are exceptions to the rule. Manitou Stance forks for instance...a very failed line.

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Lots of product on market = more instances of abuse and failure. As a percentage though, it'll be minute. The nature of forums allows panic to spread from a single photo with no context, so a one-man uproar such as this is inevitable :rolleyes: