Boxxer R2C2 2013's

Topperharley

Likes Dirt
Does anybody own any? Any issues or happy stories?

Currently debating an offer to takes these on a new Norco Aurum or swap my used (and very much loved) 2011 Bos Idylle's from my current bike.

I know the Bos are the better fork, but they are used, a couple of years old, so if i can be convinced of the Boxxer's prowess i might be think again.

I am very much a fire and forget guy when it comes to adjustability, i dont like fiddling when riding, its set it up once, do it right, and ride. I'm light (weight) and not hard on my bikes, nut i plan to take this decision to France for the summer, where the fork will get an absolute punishing.

driftking

Wheel size expert
Does anybody own any? Any issues or happy stories?

Currently debating an offer to takes these on a new Norco Aurum or swap my used (and very much loved) 2011 Bos Idylle's from my current bike.

I know the Bos are the better fork, but they are used, a couple of years old, so if i can be convinced of the Boxxer's prowess i might be think again.

I am very much a fire and forget guy when it comes to adjustability, i dont like fiddling when riding, its set it up once, do it right, and ride. I'm light (weight) and not hard on my bikes, nut i plan to take this decision to France for the summer, where the fork will get an absolute punishing.
hard decision between a 2011 and 2013, it may be closer than you think.
The only issue I have with boxxer and this is coming from my boxxer 2011 R2C2 is that they lack support, I'v ramped my LSC up a fair bit to give me the support im looking for but this than drastically takes away from small bump and does affect my traction, the HSC is up fairly high but it still blows through its midstroke, If I up it more it gets harsh but still blows through its mid stroke (go figure?)

If they haven't made changes to the forks dampening id probably avoid keeping them and sell them or do a trade in and see if you can get new 40s for a smaller fee. I enjoy the boxxer but its lacking "support" in the fork. I'm already on a spring rate up and have been told to maybe try going up again. But seems like im trying to fix a dampening issue with other adjustments.

Hopefully someon chimes in here with experience on the 2013 but id be leaning towards keeping the bos because you know you love them or looking towards 40's

m2c

rider124

Likes Bikes and Dirt
sell them both, then have enough money for 2013 BOS forks :D
Or maybe them R & D fox 40's, but you may need to kick in a few extra dollars for them ;)

ckooi

Squid
did 2 weeks of riding in france w 2 yr old Fox40 last year. I got my 40 serviced before the trip and it worked well during the whole trip.

may be worthwhile to keep your BOS and get it serviced :) ? u will want to ride with something that you trust well that i will take all the hits when you ride at France or Switzerland. ...

Mr_hANky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hard decision between a 2011 and 2013, it may be closer than you think.
The only issue I have with boxxer and this is coming from my boxxer 2011 R2C2 is that they lack support, I'v ramped my LSC up a fair bit to give me the support im looking for but this than drastically takes away from small bump and does affect my traction, the HSC is up fairly high but it still blows through its midstroke, If I up it more it gets harsh but still blows through its mid stroke (go figure?)

If they haven't made changes to the forks dampening id probably avoid keeping them and sell them or do a trade in and see if you can get new 40s for a smaller fee. I enjoy the boxxer but its lacking "support" in the fork. I'm already on a spring rate up and have been told to maybe try going up again. But seems like im trying to fix a dampening issue with other adjustments.

Hopefully someon chimes in here with experience on the 2013 but id be leaning towards keeping the bos because you know you love them or looking towards 40's

m2c

Get a harder spring ffs. You cant judge a fork that you haven't setup correctly.

The r2c2 is a great fork. It offers plenty of adjustability to set it up once nice and forget it till it needs a service. I was looking at a set for y new bike but went with world cups as i like the ramp up an air fork provides.

B.utters

Likes Dirt
Get a harder spring ffs. You cant judge a fork that you haven't setup correctly.

The r2c2 is a great fork. It offers plenty of adjustability to set it up once nice and forget it till it needs a service. I was looking at a set for y new bike but went with world cups as i like the ramp up an air fork provides.
With regard to what Driftking's comment about lack of support, I seem to remember Udi mentioning somewhere that Boxxers come valved very lightly and most people try to fix this by dialing in a lot of LSC or HSC but can't get a good mix. I think his advice was to double up the shim stack to allow the adjusters to actually work decently.

sawnoff666

Likes Dirt
With regard to what Driftking's comment about lack of support, I seem to remember Udi mentioning somewhere that Boxxers come valved very lightly and most people try to fix this by dialing in a lot of LSC or HSC but can't get a good mix. I think his advice was to double up the shim stack to allow the adjusters to actually work decently.
I have the 2012 R2C2s and doubled up some of the shims and swapped some out with thicker ones. Now i have them set up perfectly, no need to change anything. Just set and forget.

cooki_monsta

Likes Dirt
I like the idea of sell both and get new 2013 bos suspension. Oh and fit fox 40's..... lol you have to be kidding. Id say get 2013 888 ti's. What a sick fork.

Fox and boxxers are for people that dont like fantastic suspension. Why wiuld you buy it knowing tha you need to change parts!

driftking

Wheel size expert

New spring wont do anything, IM already up a spring rate, getting about 15% sag, the fork is sprung correctly but the valving as mentioned is poor. The fork is actually set up almost perfect it just lacks mid stroke support.

I have the 2012 R2C2s and doubled up some of the shims and swapped some out with thicker ones. Now i have them set up perfectly, no need to change anything. Just set and forget.
I have spoken to UDI I believe in another thread and yes he did mention about a re shim. The forks are very much designed for entry level riders, they feel great in slow sections, as soon as you hit a steep fast rock garden it craps out, upping the compression creates initial harshness/hard initial break and once its activated that circuit it blows through the travel. Re-shim seems to be the only option.

The other option is a avy cartridge

As to the OP though, why buy a fork that needs work when you can buy something better and more refined like a fox. R2C2's are a great fork but in terms of competition they are behind the 8ball.

IMO

Last edited:

morticus

Likes Dirt
I have spoken to UDI I believe in another thread and yes he did mention about a re shim. The forks are very much designed for entry level riders, they feel great in slow sections, as soon as you hit a steep fast rock garden it craps out, upping the compression creates initial harshness/hard initial break and once its activated that circuit it blows through the travel. Re-shim seems to be the only option.

The other option is a avy cartridge

IMO
My poor old RCs must the worst forks in the world... I thought the R2C2 were supposed to be a fantastic fork, even people with world cups go back to them because they require a lot less work? Regardless of above, i would still be going with 40s, they just seem to soak everything up better. My old 2005 888s even felt better than the 2013 RCs i have on my bike.

cooki_monsta

Likes Dirt
Ive owned all 3. And tbh the Marzocchi 888 was the best feeling fork. And they are still on my bike now. The fox was ok but deteriorated quickly between services. The boxxers were just poo so I kep the 888s. Such a nice fork great feeling great service life and a true set and forget fork

driftking

Wheel size expert
My poor old RCs must the worst forks in the world... I thought the R2C2 were supposed to be a fantastic fork, even people with world cups go back to them because they require a lot less work? Regardless of above, i would still be going with 40s, they just seem to soak everything up better. My old 2005 888s even felt better than the 2013 RCs i have on my bike.
In terms of what they offer they are a great fork, the only negative is they lack support during mid stroke, without blowing my own horn this is only apparent when you are riding pretty fast. When you hit rock gardens flat out you feel the fork dive through its travel, upping the compression you get harshness but no more support. As mentioned most people have had success with a re-shim. I still use my R2C2 but for me someone who is very set up pedantic compared to other forks they are not the best in that they require more internal work. The new fox and from what I hear the 888 don't need re-shims or anything to get them working.

Fox and 888 you're much less likely to need to touch the internals with re-shims, boxxer and re-shim seem to be a common topic, you will also see lots of people using avy cartridges in boxxers, a quick google search will show that. While fox and 888 and by extension probably bos etc you rarely hear people talking about re-shims.

As for people going back to teams/R2C2 Im not sure what the maintenance is like between them, I know performance wise people will return to the team due to the feel of a spring, it is more linear, air been more progressive. Most people like a linear fork, Bos actually aimed to produce a air fork that is as linear as a spring and the new rare seems to have achieved that pretty damn well (Based on reviews)

Are the R2C2 a great fork? Yes but they require more work to get right and may need a re-shim for some.
Are they a top performer? yes
Are they up the top of the list? No, RS are lagging behind the game in recent years, fox have made drastic leaps in performance as have other manufactures, RS seem to still be using a very similar fork to recent years. There is rumor they have big things happening soon though so hopefully we will see them step is back up.

M2c on the topic though.