Boxxer WC little to no travel??

Sorry if this is a really stupid question, but google isn't playing nice tonight with answers and I'm stumped

I had my 2011 World Cups serviced and seals replaced by good LBS and they were running like new last week (LBS is quite active in DH/AM scene so I doubt they did anything wrong, and don't wanna name them as its likely unfair) but shit themselves today.

I took them out today and noticed they only had about 15-20mm travel before having a "bottom out" type feel with 85 PSI (about right for my weight). I stupidly thought if I back off all the settings they might loosen up on one of the tracks at youies, but nothing changed. Forks felt like they were bottoming out the whole way down. At the bottom I checked the rubber ring and had only used to the 10% sag mark on the stanchion.

I have let out all the air and fully compressed they are getting to just before 15% sag mark? Is this a kit/seal issue that is repaired easily and cheaply or potentially just easier to just retire them for new forks?

T-Rex

Template denier
It sounds like hydraulic lock, eg the air chamber full of oil, but how you would get that with that fork is beyond me. Fox Floats used to suck the splash lube into the air chamber, but I've never heard of it happening on a WC. And WCs wouldn't have enough splash lube to fill the air chamber anyway.

Does it bottom out with a clunk, or does it gradually go stiff?

Last edited:

merc-blue

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sounds to me like you need to visit your "good" LBS and give then an opportunity to fix their mistake.

Mistakes happen everywhere but its how they deal with them that matters.

mxh

Likes Dirt
I bought a pair of secondhand Boxxer WCs (about 2010/2011 vintage) off a mate which were suffering from the same problem. They'd already been rebuilt once (by a reputable bike shop) but suffered the problem again first ride out.

I stripped and rebuilt them once - same problem again. So I bought a complete seal set (think I had to get it from the States) and did another rebuild, and all has worked fine since.

Even though there's only a small amount of oil in there, it definitely seemed to be a hydraulic lock problem.

NSDynamics

Farkin Advertiser
Usually the rebound damper seal head inner o-ring letting go and all the damper oil ending up in the lowers.

An easy fix for the bikeshop as long as they have the correct o-ring.

Great, thanks for the advice guys. Was quietly hoping it would be some super simple fix I could do without dropping them at shop.
Called the LBS today, was told the same thing you have all said about it being hydraulic lock. Dropping it in tomorrow so hopefully will all be going again with no more hassles.

T-Rex

Template denier
Usually the rebound damper seal head inner o-ring letting go and all the damper oil ending up in the lowers.

An easy fix for the bikeshop as long as they have the correct o-ring.
Nobrakes, your lucky day... This will be the correct answer. Just in case you don't know these guys, what they don't know about suspension ain't worth knowing.

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
What ns said. A common problem for all the MoCo type rockshox forks. The o ring will come in the basic service kit for the fork. Part number for 2011-2014 boxer WC kit is 00.4315.032.170.

- joel