Brake adaptor and 888's

---Matt---

Likes Bikes and Dirt
One sour experience with an incorrectly setup brake doesn't make a well-proven and perfectly valid method of brake setup magically wrong.
Who said anything about an incorrectly set up brake? I snapped the mount off the fork! The fork was defective and it sent me over the bars, I snapped spokes in my wheel and I had to get the fork lowers replaced. The mount was still attached to the adaptor too so I was not very happy.
My point was that if I was in that position, I would go out and get the other adaptor because if I'm riding down a hill and I happen to have a brake failure, I don't want to be sitting there thinking... "DAMN, I wish I had spent 15 mins going to my LBS to replace that $25 adaptor."

---Matt--

TransitionPete

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ok to be on the safe side i am going to my lbs tomorrow and swapping the adaptors so i can get the wider one.Im doing it just to be on the safe side as i think running to many spacers is a bit dodgy.If not i will have to get them to order the correct adaptor and hope it will come by friday so i can race on the sunday...

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Who said anything about an incorrectly set up brake? I snapped the mount off the fork! The fork was defective and it sent me over the bars, I snapped spokes in my wheel and I had to get the fork lowers replaced. The mount was still attached to the adaptor too so I was not very happy.
geez it was evidently the result of a spaced-out adapter then, wasn't it...... :rolleyes:

ironhorsePETE: you seriously don't need to buy a new $40 adaptor, the spacers will more than suffice, just ensure that the bolts are long enough so as to thread far enough into the adaptor. ther will be NO negative effects on the fork, as is evidenced by the fact that marz SUPPLY spacers with their 20mm forks. nothing to worry about

moreso, even if you do feel the need to get a new adaptor, if the LBS does not have them, running yours spaced out for one race day really is no problem....

Last edited:

udi

swiss cheese
---Matt--- said:
I snapped the mount off the fork! The fork was defective and it sent me over the bars, I snapped spokes in my wheel and I had to get the fork lowers replaced.
Thanks for proving my point. Your stupidity both astounds and amuses me simultaneously.

I hope you feel better now that you have pushed a kid into spending a completely unneccessary $25 when at the most he would have been down $2 for a pair of longer bolts and 5mm worth of washers.

For the record, I have ridden two years and raced two seasons on the same fork/adaptor combo with the spacing (that has now been suggested many times over) with no dramas whatsoever.

TransitionPete

Likes Bikes and Dirt
See this is what i hate.I have changed my mind at least 5 times tonight whether to use spacers or get a wide enough adaptor.So if i run the spacers needed and have a bolt that goes through the fork,Runs throught the 5mm of spacers and goes pretty much all the way into the end of the adaptor i will be fine to run it like this forever?

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
See this is what i hate.I have changed my mind at least 5 times tonight whether to use spacers or get a wide enough adaptor.So if i run the spacers needed and have a bolt that goes through the fork,Runs throught the 5mm of spacers and goes pretty much all the way into the end of the adaptor i will be fine to run it like this forever?
yes. that is correct. there will be no problem whatsoever. stacks of people run it like this, and never have problems.

---Matt---

Likes Bikes and Dirt
geez it was evidently the spaced-out adapter that was at fault, then wasn't it...... :rolleyes:

ironhorsePETE: you seriously don't need to buy a new $40 adaptor, the spacers will more than suffice, just ensure that the bolts are long enough so as to thread far enough into the adaptor. ther will be NO negative effects on the fork, as is evidenced by the fact that marz SUPPLY spacers with their 20mm forks. nothing to worry about

moreso, even if you do feel the need to get a new adaptor, if the LBS does not have them, running yours spaced out for one race day really is no problem....
Where did I say the spaced out adaptor was at fault? I wouldn't space out an adaptor so you're really just reading in between the lines here. I said that when the brakes failed I was more than pissed off that:
A. I was injured, AND
B. There was loads of damage to the bike.

And yes UDI, I do feel better for encouraging him to buy a $25 adaptor as I am now satisfied that I did my best to err on the side of caution and go and spend the $25 so he won't come back on here some time in the future, missing teeth or with broken bones due to some tightass advice not to spend a small amount of cash for long term peace of mind.

---Matt---

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
Where did I say the spaced out adaptor was at fault? I wouldn't space out an adaptor so you're really just reading in between the lines here. I said that when the brakes failed I was more than pissed off that:
A. I was injured, AND
B. There was loads of damage to the bike.

And yes UDI, I do feel better for encouraging him to buy a $25 adaptor as I am now satisfied that I did my best to err on the side of caution and go and spend the $25 so he won't come back on here some time in the future, missing teeth or with broken bones due to some tightass advice not to spend a small amount of cash for long term peace of mind.

---Matt---

dude....:rolleyes:

This pains me just reading it, i can only imagine Udi's frustration...

necrophantastica

Cannon Fodder
you know what man, you probably could run it with the spacers. Nothing wrong with that. If I were in your position though, I'd make a few phone calls to the wholesalers. See if its gonna void your warrenty and what they think. Their advice is what I'd take damn near everytime.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Where did I say the spaced out adaptor was at fault? I wouldn't space out an adaptor so you're really just reading in between the lines here.
The simple answer is that you got the wrong adaptor; you'll need the wider one. In my opinion I definately wouldn't space out the adaptor you've got as you're likely to do damage to both the forks and possibly send your caliper into your spokes (not a pretty sight... I know... I've done it when a brake mount snapped off
it was said implicitly in what you said. you advised him not to use the spaced out adaptor as you felt that he would be running a risk of snapping his brake mount off his forks and sending the caliper into the spokes; an argument which you then backed up using your own example of when your brake mount snapped, alluding to the fact that it was a result of the spaced out brake mount.

i am simply telling him in 100% confidence (none of this wishy-washy "oh i think it may be..." crap that you are going on with), that running the spaced out adaptor will not be a problem

i <3 stupid people

---Matt---

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i <3 stupid people
Name calling... real mature :rolleyes:

And, seeing as though you are intent on trying to prove me wrong, what exactly is wrong with following the brake manufacturer's reccommendations and purchasing the correct product for it's purpose?

Oh, and now that I've cleared up that I didn't snap the brake mount due to having a spaced out brake adaptor, I'm confident that he will realise that not everyone is willing to risk their safety for the sake of $25. But yes, please call the distributor and check with them. If they do say it's safe and won't void the warranty on the brakes/fork please tell us. I'd be very interested to hear and would eat my words.

---Matt---

Last edited:

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Name calling... real mature :rolleyes:
that wasnt name calling, i was pointing out the fact that of your various arguments, none have had any real substance, and two have actually gone so far s to contradict each other. now there is nothing wrong with following manufacturer's recommendations, and i whole-heartedly agree with you that buying the adaptor is a feasible option. however, i was merely pointing out (as have numerous others in this thread) that there is an equally feasible option in using spacers, and it is one that is much more cost effective, without compromising anything.

but this is really going nowhere. pete has been provided with plenty enough information to make his own informed discussion, so lets just agree that there exists more than one plausible option (with spacers and without) and let pete decide on his own

jonot

Likes Dirt
dude....:rolleyes:

This pains me just reading it, i can only imagine Udi's frustration...
I live about 45 second ride away from udi, and i can hear him banging his head on his desk from here. and it's raining really hard right now, so imagine how hard he's banging.

tu plang

knob
I live about 45 second ride away from udi, and i can hear him banging his head on his desk from here. and it's raining really hard right now, so imagine how hard he's banging.
Uh uh, thats me banging my head against the wall and i live 45 minutes from you.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
I agree with Matt. Why would Marzocchi make an alternative adaptor if the thiner adaptor with spacers was "ok".

For piece of mind, I would, get the correct adaptor, that was actually designed to go with the forks. There are no "what if"'s that way.

tu plang

knob
I agree with Matt. Why would Marzocchi make an alternative adaptor if the thiner adaptor with spacers was "ok".

For piece of mind, I would, get the correct adaptor, that was actually designed to go with the forks. There are no "what if"'s that way.
I agree with me, why would you apply a "why would they make" logic to something when you appear to have no idea who's making what.

Brake manufacturers do make an adapter that is wider, it makes things simple and neat, thats about it really. On the other hand MARZOCCHI (who do not make an alternative adaptor) send out 5mm spacers with there forks for exactly this reason.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
I agree with me, why would you apply a "why would they make" logic to something when you appear to have no idea who's making what.

Brake manufacturers do make an adapter that is wider, it makes things simple and neat, thats about it really. On the other hand MARZOCCHI (who do not make an alternative adaptor) send out 5mm spacers with there forks for exactly this reason.
Ok, the point I was trying to make is, it doesnt matter who makes the larger adaptor. Someone makes it and it must be for a reason. So for safetys sake I would go for something that is designed for that purpose, not space something out to make it for the purpose. Thats just something that I would do, everyone has their way of doing things and thats fine by me. Whatever works for you.

tu plang

knob
Ok, the point I was trying to make is, it doesnt matter who makes the larger adaptor. Someone makes it and it must be for a reason. So for safetys sake I would go for something that is designed for that purpose, not space something out to make it for the purpose. Thats just something that I would do, everyone has their way of doing things and thats fine by me. Whatever works for you.
see this is my problem, everyone who has recommended the larger adapter has done so purely on the basis that it exists! if someone can justify it i'm willing to listen.
on the other hand, the spacers are justified by another manufacturer implicitly through them supplying the spacers and through years of experience. so who is right? hayes (who make money out of selling an adapter) or marzocchi?

Shimano brakes come stock on bikes (mainly XT and XTR) with the bolts drilled, wire AND loose, just because companies do it doesn't make it right.

Last edited: