Brake cleaner

wombat

Lives in a hole
Since there's been so many questions about how to clean your disks, and I know how much isopropyl alcohol is (damn expensive), I thought I'd let anyboy who doesn't already know that Weldtite have a spray on bicycle disk cleaner available. About $17 a can (I think). I'll pinch a can in the next few days and let you all know how it works.

Anyway, it's available, ask your LBS.

Tim

Likes Dirt
Hey Shayne

i have been using the spray for a little while now and it's much more hassle free than Isoprophyl, and my mum's a pharmacist so i have no problem getting Isoprophyl for free.

Tim

bazza

look at me
same here, its basically spray on ipa with more chemicals inside it. although dont think you can just get on and ride it straight away, its gotta take some time and some bedding in as i found at the hard way just before a 30minute dh run. grrr.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Yeti-Freak said:
and my mum's a pharmacist so i have no problem getting Isoprophyl for free.

Tim
Haha, yeah my dad works right near a paint factory, and we just scam the stuff by the litre, for nothing. It wasn't until I checked prices that I realised how expensive it was.

Like I said, I haven't used the weldtite gear yet, but I know that with disc doctor and the like you spray it on, then you have to ride with the squealing pig brakes for a bit while it actually cleans. Looking foward to giving it a shot though. :)

125PHIL

Likes Dirt
yeah i dont go that isoprop alcholohol anymore, i heard that it is bad say if u have hydro discs, that its not good for the litle o-rings and seals, ive heard the same thing from a heap of car mechanics, no yeah i just by the CRC brand brakecleaner from the shops...works a treat...

Weasel

Likes Dirt
I just use motorcycle disk cleaner

You can spray it all over the place and it doesnt leave any residue

wombat

Lives in a hole
125PHIL said:
yeah i dont go that isoprop alcholohol anymore, i heard that it is bad say if u have hydro discs, that its not good for the litle o-rings and seals, ive heard the same thing from a heap of car mechanics, no yeah i just by the CRC brand brakecleaner from the shops...works a treat...
Quite possible, but what's it doing near your seals? You should use it to clean the rotor.