Brake Pad Help

bens109

Likes Dirt
Hey guys I have searched are read all the related threads but I still have some questions about my problem.

I'm running Avid Codes and had only ridden on them a couple of times then I stuffed my knee a few weeks ago and put my bike away with out washing it. I pulled it out today and cleaned it up using that pink muc-off bike wash, which claims to be ok on brake pads, but I took it for a spin and now the brakes have much less power, especially the rear. It may be possible they were contaminated some how but I don't know when, I took the pads out and they look smooth but not glazed. Also the levers now feel very mushy, is that and indication of contaminated pads? Is there any sure way of telling if the pads have been contaminated?

I have organic pads and there are a few conflicting methods in the forums for cleaning them. Should I burn/boil organic pads?

Cheers

matty_101

Likes Dirt
If the lever is feeling mushy when you depress it, then you might have some air in the system that drifted out when you stored it away, i'd give it a once over for leaks because it sounds more likely that its a leak.

dh1

Likes Dirt
ask your lbs man. but like the guy said try blead them first to see if that helps and if not then get a cleaner for the pads