Brake Pads locked on.

ademb

Likes Dirt
Hey guys, just a quick one. Just received my new bike today after been freighted up from Adelaide. Anyway I went to put the wheels on, only to notice both front and rear brake pads were both closed up completely. Is there a quick fix to release them or does it basically mean take it to a shop and get them bled?

NDM

Squid
Sounds like they didn't use a spacer between the brake pads and the pistons have closed in. You just need to get something flat and lever the pads apart.
Don't use anything that is going to wreck your pads (i.e. anything sharp or puts too much pressure in one spot), plastic tire levers are perfect if there still enough room to get it between the pads. If not (or you don't have one) you can carefully use a butter knife to lever them apart.

If in doubt just take it to your LBS and get them to do it, its a 5 minute job and shouldn't require a bleed.

Jack456

Likes Dirt
No dont take it to you lbs, Just get a flat head screw driver put it inbetween the pads and twist it. That should fix it

aceyone

Likes Dirt
Doesn't it depend on the brake system?

I've simply pushed my Hayes pistons back in like you've said plenty of times (being very careful of the tab on the piston... replacing a piston isn't as easy).

But now I have Saint hydros, the Shimano tech guide said to open the top reservoir? I'm confused... did I not need to open the reservoir, then?

ademb

Likes Dirt
thanks guys, got a butter knife inbetween them and they came apart. The front still seems a lil bit tight but ill give it another go tomorrow arvo once i get home from work.

Cheers again, Adem