Brake Pads

TOMRULES

Likes Dirt
G'day rotorburners,
Im looking at getting a new set of pads for my elixirs. I thought this would be a simple task but i didn't realise how many different types of pads there were.
If someone could tell me what the different types of pads are suited to, that would be great.
Im planning on using them on my dj bike but it gets used for a bit of everything so the right pad could make the difference.
Thanks guys

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
- Organic is soft and provides a bit more bite when braking ... but wears faster (fastest) ... better against brake squeal ... shite in the wet
- Semi-metallic is very similar to organic IMO
- Sintered is harder but more heat resistant and better with wet weather. ... good for more gravity based riders ... can squeal like a pig though.
- ceramic: is supposed to be harder / hardest, is the most heat and water resistant, and supposed to last the longest [1] When I think of ceramic I think of light fixtures, really hard but smooth on the outside,but clay on the inside (just some mental imagery)

So ... if you want a bit more feel at the lever, whilst braking, then the semis and Organics have nice bite but don't last long (for gravity related riding). Best for XC in dry conditions or if you don't mind replacing pads frequently.

Sintered are for gravity focused riders ... or those riding in wet conditions. They tend to slide more on the disc IMO, but the heat and wear resistance is what they are there for.

Ceramic. Read my comments below re ceramic ... I'm not 100% sure I'm actually using them ... so might leave comments on these to somebody with specific experience.

[1] This isn't really my experience as the pads marked as ceramic that I have been using are somewhat soft, although they are OK in wet conditions compared to organics. Not sure if I truly am using ceramic.

Hope thats what you were after.