Brake rotor compatibility question

macca_1972

Likes Dirt
Hi guys,

I recently fitted some new SLX brakes (calipers/levers) to my Trance. I have recently bought a Mavic XM819 tubeless wheelset to replace the original XM117s (thanks timedward!), since these have 6-bolt hubs (and the 117s had centrelocks) I am now looking at new rotors for them. At the same time, I am looking at going to 180mm discs on the front and staying with 160 at the rear.

Currently looking at the XT RT76 rotors, but not sure if they are compatible with the SLX calipers/pads? Only reason I ask is that the page on CRC for the RT75 rotor (I assume the predecessor to the RT76) says that they cannot be used with Deore-type brakes (ie brakes that use the M06/M07 type brake pads) as the braking area on the disc is too shallow.

Am I correct in assuming that the RT75 discs were intended for use with the 4-pot XT brakes (M755) with the shallower M03/M04 pads? As far as I can tell, the newer XT brakes (M765, M775) have reverted to the 2-pot design and use the same pad family (M06/M07) as my SLX brakes. If the RT76 disc is meant for use with the current 2-pot XTs, then that should also mean they are fine with the SLX also - can anyone confirm this for sure?

If they are no good, what's another good 6-bolt rotor option to go with the SLX's? Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Matt

dog boy

Likes Dirt
Not sure, you could try contacting the crc customer service / help line. Or flick them an email, I have found them to be helpfull, when inquireing about product compatabilitys. you should get an e-mail within a day.

Last edited:

wagga

Likes Bikes
Macca,

I have just fitted a set of RT75 discs to my bike. I used to run Deore centrelocks. I just measured the braking surface of both discs and they are the same.

I have no trouble with the current setup of Deore levers, RT75 XT discs and
M07 XTR pads. Great stopping power :cool:.

Regards

Daniel

macca_1972

Likes Dirt
Thanks Daniel, that's very helpful info.

Will also email CRC too - never thought of doing that..... *slaps forehead* Will see what they say and report back.

Thanks very much for the help guys.

macca_1972

Likes Dirt
UPDATE: Got a response from CRC to my question, they tell me the RT76 rotors will be fine with the SLX brakes. Now to go and place and order.... *rubs hands together*

Thought I might post this up here in case the topic ever gets searched in future. :cool:

Matt