brake rotor rubbing on brake mounts

downhill_4_life

Likes Bikes
My disk brake rotor is rubbing on my brake mountits on the back wheel 203 mm rotor on avid elixr7 brakes
If some body could help me it would be great
Thaanks

driftking

Wheel size expert
Check everything is installed where it should be ie everything in the correct spot, then make sure your mounts are not backwards or flipped, then check your caliper is mounted correctly too. Got a picture?
you just need to go through the process of checking each part to make sure its installed correctly. If it all is installed properly then hopefully someone else can help you out here.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Lots of threads on this. Do a search and you'll find a whole bunch of replies.

I know the pain though. Most frustrating thing in the world.

Is it just bent and rubbing in one spot as it spins? If so a shifter spanner tightened around the rotor (with a bit of cloth between) can sometimes wiggle out the bend with a bit of persuasion. Don't go too far though. Better less than too much.

Otherwise it could be a myriad of things such as, pads not aligned, brake housing not aligned/centered, brakes in need of bleed, dropout worn on one side among others.

Best thing is to put a bit of white paper or a torch on the floor underneath the bike, spin the wheel and look through the brake assembly as the rotor spins with the white paper/torch in the background shining back up through.
This will silhouette the rotor in the assembly and make it easy to spot any warps or mis-alignments.

If the rotor is too far to one side, just loosen the bolts on the brake housing and move it move a mm or two.

Best answer I can honeslty give, and I'm not trying to be a smart ass here, but just buy shimano brakes.

Hope this helps.

downhill_4_life

Likes Bikes
yeah i searched before i posted and it came up with put spacers in the axle, but im no to keen on modfying my bike just incase something goes wrong. but the wheel has movement so i think it might be the wheel cones being out of place so ill just give that a shot.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
yeah i searched before i posted and it came up with put spacers in the axle, but im no to keen on modfying my bike just incase something goes wrong. but the wheel has movement so i think it might be the wheel cones being out of place so ill just give that a shot.
Yeah that will do it too.
Loose cones means your whole hub and rotor will move.
I didn't even think of that.

tomli123001

Likes Dirt
file down the parts a bit. Won't hurt. I had the issue with my new XT front post brake mount rubbing on the ICE-tech disc spider. So I filed down the bit on the adapter and problem solved.