Brake Rub. Solutions?

user name

Likes Dirt
Hello Fellow riders.

I Have a new bike and its running Avid Juicy 3 brakes they work good. But every time i remove the wheels (9mm QR if it helps on a Cell xc-2) to clean the bike or the like...it seems once ive re-installed the wheels on the bike the brakes rub.. this isn't a huge deal but there can be alot of rub - sapping of my energies, not to mention annoying to re-centre the callipers each time.

So, please help me with wise tips on fixing this annoying issue?

(ive searched and found little, please dont flame too hard on the Cell bikes front)

Cheers in advance for any assistance!

jonny the boy

Likes Dirt
Check to see if your brake pads have slipped out of place, also check that your caliper bolts are tight and the caliper is aligned properly. You may need to remove your caliper and push the pistons back in if you have applied the brake with the pads out of place.

driftking

Wheel size expert
Most the time if the brake now rubs it will be because something has been changed or moved as mentioned above; make sure your brakes are set up properly to begin with and aligned, make sure your brake mounts and calipers are tightened enough. Next you never want to squeezing the pads together without a brake in there, grab a piece of cardboard or a brake spacer. Slip it into the brake where the disc goes straigt after you take the wheel off. This will help keep the pads in place and will also prevent any issues if the brake lever is accidently pulled.
Make sure whatever you put in-between the brake is clean so the pads stay clean and not contaminated.
Check for any warps in your disc as well and make sure the disc is tighten sufficiently as well. Jump on the bike go for a quick ride and pump the brakes.
Hopefully that will help.

Last edited:

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This is very common, especially with QR. Most times the wheel will go back in a slightly different position, causing the rub. The easiest fix is to loosen the 2 bolts the attach the calliper and slightly twist the calliper. With the bike upside down, spin the wheel and it will be easy to hear when the alignment is right.

When you hit the sweet spot, carefully nip the bolts back up. Takes about 1 minute :clap2:

DJR

Likes Dirt
When you hit the sweet spot, carefully nip the bolts back up. Takes about 1 minute :clap2:
Even easier, loosen the caliper mounting bolts till the caliper is slightly loose, squeeze the lever or put a rubber band over it, tighten the caliper up, remove pressure on the lever, done.

That is the way Avid recommend and it's real easy to do. May have to spread the pads a little though if the rotor alignment has really changed

This is very common, especially with QR. Most times the wheel will go back in a slightly different position, causing the rub. The easiest fix is to loosen the 2 bolts the attach the calliper and slightly twist the calliper. With the bike upside down, spin the wheel and it will be easy to hear when the alignment is right.

just did this on my mates 04 bighit with hayes el camino's.
pretty mch crack the caliper bolts flip the bike and spin wheel, slowly and slightly move the caliper till it aligns properly then nip it back up

MARKL

Eats Squid
The other thing I do on QR rear bikes is after I have refitted the wheel:
1. turn the bike right side up,
2. release the QR again and push down on the bike
3. tighten the QR.

The position of the rear wheel eems to be more consistent this way.