Brake setup - Euro to English/Aus

Mtb1speed

Likes Dirt
Hey guys, I've got a set of Shimano M486 brakes in Euro setup, I.e. Rear brake on the right and front brake on the left. Is it as simple as just swapping the brake lines to the other lever? I know I will have to bleed brakes etc, but that's cool, that's the easy part. I've looked at the shimano tech docs and it sort of implies that my thoughts are right. Anyone care to offer an opinion? Cheers guys. Happy trails.

Regan

Eats Squid
Yes, just undo the hose lock nuts, pull out the hoses and swap them over. You don't need to replace the olives or anything. If you do it carefully, you won’t have to bleed the whole system. You only have to flick the lever a few times and any little bubbles that got in with rise up into the lever. Then just top up the reservoir and replace the cover

rone

Eats Squid
Yes, just undo the hose lock nuts, pull out the hoses and swap them over. You don't need to replace the olives or anything. If you do it carefully, you won’t have to bleed the whole system. You only have to flick the lever a few times and any little bubbles that got in with rise up into the lever. Then just top up the reservoir and replace the cover
To assist with this, if you remove the wheel and pump the lever until the pads touch each other, after you swap hoses just push the pistons back in and watch the bubbles purge out of the master cylinder. Then just top up and replace the caps.

Regan

Eats Squid
To assist with this, if you remove the wheel and pump the lever until the pads touch each other, after you swap hoses just push the pistons back in and watch the bubbles purge out of the master cylinder. Then just top up and replace the caps.
Ah hadn't thought of that one, very nifty!

rone

Eats Squid
Lazy people will invariably find the easiest way to do something. If you do it following the above advice then it will be a 15 minute job. Follow the shimano advice and take half a day. I know what I would do.