brakes for 29er-avid elixers?

m_g

Likes Dirt
anyone have any thoughts on why I shouldnt replace my avid mechanicals with avid elixers (160mm) on my haro mary SS 29er?? Seem to be a great brake for buck (~$190 an end)...Once I put forks on the Mary, I can ride it a bit harder and the mech brakes just aren't coping...

COR10

Likes Bikes
What fork are you changing to?
Curious as i am a fellow mary rider and considering a soft front to aid the sore necks from long rides. Wish i were 21 again.

m_g

Likes Dirt
What fork are you changing to?
Curious as i am a fellow mary rider and considering a soft front to aid the sore necks from long rides. Wish i were 21 again.
hey mate,
i loved the mary when she was rigid...but got bored riding the same smooth trails...so I bought the RST M-29 from on-one UK...Worked out to be 350 delivered (in about 5 days) and has lock out and rebound adjust...It's a great fork and has had awesome write-ups in many MTB mags/ forums (MTBR)/ websites...A google search will help you out...

I probably havent got the fork dialled in yet, but am still very happy with it...

Definitely increases the usability of the bike...and has left my trance very unridden...

Steve_N

Likes Dirt
anyone have any thoughts on why I shouldnt replace my avid mechanicals with avid elixers (160mm) on my haro mary SS 29er?? Seem to be a great brake for buck (~$190 an end)...Once I put forks on the Mary, I can ride it a bit harder and the mech brakes just aren't coping...
No, no reason why you shouldn't and if you can get them at a good price, do it! I upgraded my old Avid V brakes to Shimano XT's (160 F/R) and the difference was like night and day. They are more than enough for my rigid Soma. If I were to upgrade to a suspension fork then I'd possibly consider getting a 180 rotor for the front but right now they are handling the job effortlessly...

hey mate,
i loved the mary when she was rigid...but got bored riding the same smooth trails...so I bought the RST M-29 from on-one UK...Worked out to be 350 delivered (in about 5 days) and has lock out and rebound adjust...It's a great fork and has had awesome write-ups in many MTB mags/ forums (MTBR)/ websites...A google search will help you out...

I probably havent got the fork dialled in yet, but am still very happy with it...

Definitely increases the usability of the bike...and has left my trance very unridden...
I'd be interested to hear your comments on the RST after you get it dialled. I wouldn't mind getting a set and they are right in my price range!