Brakes for a 29er AM

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
Hi guys,

I recently picked up a new bike, 2013 Specialized Enduro COMP 19er, and on the first outing to Lysterfield I discovered the brakes are alarmingly inept while approaching the first off camber right hander at the top of Aneurysm at mach 3.

Yes, silly me.

So number one item on the 'upgrade' list is brakes as the Avid Elixar 5's seem to be more decorative than functional.

Looking for some advice on what to get.

Criteria:

- Low maintenance
- Fairly modular when delivering braking power
- up to $300 total for F+R sets, not including disks

I was thinking maybe SRAM Guide's or something of the sort, but that's only because I like the idea of 4 pistons.

Last edited:

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
I have a set of Magura MT8's if interested....F+R without rotors
have a look on CRC to get an idea of what they are worth, weight, performance etc..
send me a PM if keen

moobs

Squid
Simple. XT's - about $160 per set (front and rear) on CRC. You will easily get a set of ice rotors as well for your $300.

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've used my Enduro 29 for everything including long DH descents and gravity Enduro.
Zees are the biz, if your wallet is a little fatter go for Saints.
Mate had a failure with a seal on his RSCs after 1 little spill, then they were a pain to bleed.
Shimano Zees, plenty of power, easy to bleed, you won't regret it.

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Deore - seriously can't fault their performance, feel exactly the same as my higher end Shimano brakes, keep the spare change for other upgrades!

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Going from Avid hydros I would say two pieces of bamboo wedged between your frame and tyre will feel like an upgrade. Deore/SLX/XT/Zee/Hope are all going to be an improvement. Also try a larger rotor out front, bigger wheels need bigger brakes to slow.

SideFX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Avid codes and the XO " trails " are all on sale now . Both great brakes . The XO trails will be perfect .

si618

Likes Dirt
Already has a 203mm rotor on the front and it's still got plenty of life.
As much as I would recommend a change to Shimano SLX|XT|Zee, you might want to first check your avid? rotor will fit a Shimano caliper.

Deores are also good, but have a different brake pad to SLX+, which is a pain if you have multiple bikes and buy pads in bulk to save money.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
As much as I would recommend a change to Shimano SLX|XT|Zee, you might want to first check your avid? rotor will fit a Shimano caliper.

Deores are also good, but have a different brake pad to SLX+, which is a pain if you have multiple bikes and buy pads in bulk to save money.
What is the compatibility issue? Genuinely interested because I'll be doing a swap on one of my bikes with HS1 rotors.

As for deores, I thought the new M615 takes the same as SLX+. Man my weekend brake upgrade is looking sketchy.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
What is the compatibility issue? Genuinely interested because I'll be doing a swap on one of my bikes with HS1 rotors.

As for deores, I thought the new M615 takes the same as SLX+. Man my weekend brake upgrade is looking sketchy.
There is no compatability issue using Avid/Sram rotors with Shimano calipers. The only issue i have had is Hope Floating rotors and clearance issues with the rivets using Formula calipers.
I've used Avid/Sram/Shimano/Formula rotors mixed with all brands of calipers with no issues.

As for the Deore vs SLX, I believe that the Deore pads are different shape to SLX/XT.

Attachments

si618

Likes Dirt
I swapped some 2009 Avid Juicy 3s with Avid rotors over to SLX and the rotor rubbed against the caliper, so had to get new rotors.

Ahh, brain fart on my behalf, mine were M446 not Deore, mea culpa. They got put on the DJ/pump track bike, so hopefully will last a lifetime :)

si618

Likes Dirt
There is no compatability issue using Avid/Sram rotors with Shimano calipers.
Not sure what I did wrong then, as an Avid 6 bolt 160mm rotor definitely didn't play nice with an SLX caliper.

Swapped to a Shimano rotor without touching the caliper and all good.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
I swapped some 2009 Avid Juicy 3s with Avid rotors over to SLX and the rotor rubbed against the caliper, so had to get new rotors.

Ahh, brain fart on my behalf, mine were M446 not Deore, mea culpa. They got put on the DJ/pump track bike, so hopefully will last a lifetime :)
Ah shit.... M615 do you the same pads as SLX/XT..... carry on ...... nothing to see here!

Attachments