Brakes on a Brakeless frame

harry94

Likes Bikes
hi just wondering if anyone can tell me if it is possible to run brakes on a 2009Kink Liberty frame because it is a brakeless frame. I have been told that it can run "U" brakes but want to confirm this.
Thanks

Last edited:

condog

Likes Dirt
depending on the seat stay brace you probally could
but them brakes are ghetto......real ghetto.

harry94

Likes Bikes
thanks for that but personally i think it wrecks the frame especially if its painted. is that the only possible way for a brakeless frame?

whiteman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
you could get a U brake plate.
It is just a plate that bolts onto your seatstay brace and allows you to run normal brakes.
It looks like this.

harry94

Likes Bikes
can that "U" brake plate fit on any brakeless frame and are they very expensive and do they work like normal brake attatchments
thanks

whiteman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As long as you have a hole drilled through your seatstay brace it will fit. Once it is mounted you just attach the brakes you want on. Im not to sure on the cost but it won't be expensive.

harry94

Likes Bikes
i havent got the frame yet and am not sure if it has a hole in the seat stay but is it possible to drill it out and where can i buy one of those brackets
thanks

whiteman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I am guessing it is going to have a hole there but if not you could probably drill it out. I wouldn't recommend it however. Just head down to your LBS and get them to order you one in.

harry94

Likes Bikes
yeh ok thanks and to run brakes does there have to be one of those little things underneath the toptube and in front of the seat tube where the brakes normally part to go around the seattube. sorry for the bad explanation
thanks

tidlibitz

Likes Dirt
no you dont need to have on of those things that joins the main cable onto the loop going to the brake but you cant have u brakes just the other one how the cable goes all the way to the brake.

rhysrhysbaby

Eats Squid
Get someone like gripsport to weld some brake mounts on for you.
THese brake plates etc are just temporary options which i assume would flex and move around.

Bmx101

Likes Bikes
I'm not sure if your bike has this but my bike has a brakless frame but i can put front brakes on mine near the rear wheel.But the front brakes look chat!!!:confused:

harry94

Likes Bikes
yeh ok thanks for all the help im not to keen on getting anything welded to the frame but only want to run brakes at the start and then go brakeless so dosent really matter if it looks chat

shore_2

Likes Dirt
You could always buy a frame with brake mounts and then take the brake's off. Fair bit easier then buying a frame without mounts and putting them on.
Why wouldn't you want brake's? Do you live in the desert where it is flat?

birmY(>_<)

Likes Dirt
You could always buy a frame with brake mounts and then take the brake's off. Fair bit easier then buying a frame without mounts and putting them on.
Why wouldn't you want brake's? Do you live in the desert where it is flat?
some of us prefer riding brakeless, nothing to hit knuckles on, looks clean, seems to improve a riders style and flow, much more fun bombing hills brakeless to :D, but thats jus what i think

harlz

Cannon Fodder
hey i have the same problem
i didnt want to run brakes but my parents think ill stack or somthing so were can i get one of these plate thingys