Brand new 08 Sasquatch. broken chain???

lammi

Likes Bikes
hardly ridden it, just around the back yard and up the road to my mates place. i stand up and go to pedal and SNAP. chain breaks.

I'm taking back to the shop tomorrow but WTF?

noddy

Likes Dirt
i dunno about the 08 ones but the 07 ones came speced with a real cheapo chain, i snapped mine pretty quick
i suggest a whipperman chain, my sram one also lasted a fair while, never used a shimano chain before ( apart from the ones that came on it), definatly don't spend less than $50 for a decent chain, your knees will thank you.

t

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It could be a number of problems:

it could be the join in the chain: where the chain is joined it has a different appearance on the end of the pin.

it could have been a defect or a manufacturing fault in the chain.

it could be badly adjusted gears.

it could be operator error.

Tom2304

Likes Bikes
Chains shouldn't just fail like that, cheapo or not. Unless their gay, LBS should warranty it. Not that it should matter but was the chain to short or chainrings bent? There could be heaps of reasons.

RYDA

Likes Bikes and Dirt
says on the norco website that it is a : KMC Z-72

wouldnt have a clue bout the product though!

lammi

Likes Bikes
yeah KMC something,upon closer inspection it looks like the chainrings bent and the pin came out. It doesnt look like theres a join ANYwhere on the chain that you can undo. i dunno, im pretty sure it was in gear, but maybe one of my little brothers hit the gear switch and then i jumped on and yeah. im taking it to the LBS tomorrow and i guess theyll put a new one on. im pretty sure the rear derailluer (spelling?) needs adjusting as well, it was taking a while to change gears and stuff.

Dicky

Punter God
Chains shouldn't just fail like that, cheapo or not. Unless they're gay, LBS should warranty it. Not that it should matter but was the chain too short or chainrings bent? There could be heaps of reasons.
How does sexual preference have anything to do with bicycle warranties?
Read the site rules more carefully if you plan on sticking around. ;)

As mentioned, it could be any number / combination of reasons.

Low-end Shimano chains have put a lot of time and effort into earning a fairly piss-poor reputation.
Unfortunately, they're also specced on the vast majority of new bikes.
Ditch it for a SRAM / Wippermann, and that should hopefully solve most of the problem.

Learn about which gear combinations to use, and which to avoid. Your user's manual should hopefully cover it in more detail, but...
Don't EVER use the smallest ring / smallest rear cog together - will put huge sideloads into the chain, and an even bigger amount of torque through only a few links.
Almost guaranteed to blow/stretch just about any chain under full power.

Biggest ring / biggest cog - the same badly diagonal chainline, only now your derailleur is under excessive stress.

Back off the pedals when shifting.
I still have a piece of chain from a school camp K-mart special around here somewhere, twisted 45 degrees over 2 links, after it ghost-shifted on me under power.

Last edited:

lammi

Likes Bikes
Thanks for the advice Dicky, i shall remember it, at the time i was in smallest front largest rear.

I can only take it back to the shop i guess. Hopefully they have that chain in stock. you think they would being a norco dealer. oh wells, actually looked like a decent chain too

grandmabacon

Likes Dirt
I know how ya feel

Ok, heres my story, I got my new decent bike and a couple of weeks later my chain snapped going down a hill, put abit of presure to get speed for the jump I was going to take it over and then snap, wacked my knee on the headset and I was suprisingly pissed:rolleyes:, got a ride into school next day told mates and yep they gave me shit,

one of my mates got his bike 2 weeks after my chain snappage, picked up the bike and rode it from the bike store around town or someplace , was riding past some people and yep,chain snapped it in half.
He caught the bus in and well I gave him back what he gave me.

So I kinda know how you felt, WTF what a shitty chain, OMG and stuff like that.

the bikes were a scott and Jamis hardtails.
I was like :mad::mad::mad::confused:

DunCon

Likes Dirt
wippermen connex chains are very good i never snaped one on my old bike was even considering taking it of when i sold the bike

t

Likes Bikes and Dirt
wippermen connex chains are very good i never snaped one on my old bike was even considering taking it of when i sold the bike
You really should keep a drive train together, as in chain rings, chain & cassette all wear together. you can't go swapping chains from one drive train to another or they'll more than likely skip.

+1 vote for the connex chains - tough as hell :cool:

Svenn

Likes Dirt
chains snap, get over it. :p

anyway, my mate is a bmx rider, he JUST bought a connex wipperman and their were no stiff links etc etc. he rode it out the store, and torques it like the idiot he is, snaps and bends so its right stuffed. then he went back to the chain i have always been running, a KMC Z. they are 8 bucks and good for single speeders, they look the part and work nice, back to my bmx mate, over about 9 months of riding he would have snapped over 50 chains, just pedals as fast as he can on a dodgy gear ratio, i think its like 28/14 which is TINY for a bmx, he carries a chain breaker in his bag and has to fix up his chain(s) every ride, he has even snapped half links (shadow) and about 3 or 4 KMC Cool, his SRAM PC lasted about 2 days ;)

moral of my rant/story is, your complaining when you snap ONE chain, that stuff happens and it IS annoying, but its not that big of a deal, when you ride harder, theres a LOT more expensive stuff to break.