Brand new FOX Rampage with a crack!!

tmc_2

Likes Dirt
Hi guys,

Porbably a bit of a useless post, I just took delivery by mail of my brand new fox rampage full face.
Previously i tried a 'THE' but didnt fit my head.

The Fox box has no padding in it to protect the helmet in transit and it arrived a little bent.
Upon helmet inspection there is a crack from top to bottom of the ride side of the chin guard, also another 2 cm crack comming form possibly where the impact would have been.
Being fibre glass is it possible that only the paint/clear coat is cracked but structurally the helmet is fine? Really want this helmet as its the last in the colour i want. I cannot seperate the crack so i think it might just be paint and not all the way through?

Will speak to bike shop tomorrow but not sure what there policy is on shipping damage :(

Cheers

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
If its an online shop you purchased it from, then I would say you wont have much leg to stand on. That said, you may just be able to get a replacement out of them...

(That said, it sounds like you contacted a shop directly and got them to send it out to you...am I right?)

Helmets is really something you should be purchasing physically, in a store. Its one thing to get components online, but when it comes to safety and the likes, that one crack could mean the difference between brain damage in a crash, and a minor concussion.

tmc_2

Likes Dirt
Yep i tried on a fox rampage in person so i knew my size.
I couldnt go past the price it was online so i purchased it thinking i would have no trouble with transit damage.

The box it came in had zero padding!! i would think online retailers would take more care when posting items and beef up the original packaging where possible.

The Crack is not right through by the looks of it. Almost looks like 2 scratches, their placement gives it away as caused my an impact.
I can understand if the crack is right through but being fairly faint i wonder if it makes much structural difference in a crash?
I guess i dont want to test it :mad:

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
I'd imagine it's the shops fault for not padding the hell out of it.
I saw the guy collecting the post from the local post office the other day, and watched him throw every single item from standing behind his long van, alll the way to the front:eek:I should've said something, but I was illegally parking behind the post office. I also should've reported him, but my post office guy looks after me, so I didn't want to make waves for him.
Take photos of everything, including the box. You should've done this before opening once you saw it was damaged.

tmc_2

Likes Dirt
Good idea Skid MArk,
I know aussie post can be ruff as! i am of the opinoin it should have been padded.

I am so anoyed but i really want the helmet and im trying to tell my self it will be of to use. Better to be safe than sorry tho.

Does any one have any pics of their damaged or cracked helmets just ouf of interest?

Cheers

floody

Wheel size expert
Its cracked mate, its knackered. Expensive paperweight.

Best of luck with the damage claim, but I'd say you've got Buckley's.

floody

Wheel size expert
Actually, aside from some scuffs, externally it looks fine. The EPS foam liner detached from the carbon fibre hardshell however, one visor mounting separated inside the shell too; goodbye D2. Hospital cut the D's off it (not that I'd use it again!).

In regard to the rampage, if you can actually see cracks its had a significant enough hit to do serious damage, and without a head in it, which will mean its gone beyond its working parameters.

tmc_2

Likes Dirt
In regard to the rampage, if you can actually see cracks its had a significant enough hit to do serious damage, and without a head in it, which will mean its gone beyond its working parameters.

I atempted to take pics but the crack just doesnt show well with my camera.
It looks like a hair line and could pass for a sratch as first glance until you see where its positioned.
I guess if i do gave a front impact the chin guard will snap where the crack is :(

Faark i have some bad luck when buying shit!! gGgrrrrrr

tmc_2

Likes Dirt
Here are a couple of pics.
Its very hard to see in the pic but you can see the main line down the chin gaurd cheek area. In person it is easily spotted.

The pic also hides the second crack which is also very obvious in person.

Attachments

Last edited:

Ivan

Eats Squid
Yep i tried on a fox rampage in person so i knew my size.
I couldnt go past the price it was online so i purchased it thinking i would have no trouble with transit damage.
10 char....................

Last edited:

skwiz05

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd imagine it's the shops fault for not padding the hell out of it.
I saw the guy collecting the post from the local post office the other day, and watched him throw every single item from standing behind his long van, alll the way to the front:eek:I should've said something, but I was illegally parking behind the post office. I also should've reported him, but my post office guy looks after me, so I didn't want to make waves for him.
Take photos of everything, including the box. You should've done this before opening once you saw it was damaged.
Hey, its not Aust Post problem if people dont package properly. Thats also why you have the option to purchase insurance to send items. The poor meat head handlers dont know and dont care whats in the box. I always ask people to insure anything over $100 in value......

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I brought one the same (but black) that was on sale really cheap, it was just too good to pass up, still it got here in good nick.
If I was you I would try to get them to send you another . . . . wouldn't you rather have one that is not cracked rather than a color that you like?

Even if it is a superficial crack on it, my thinking is that it must have taken a decent blow or two which if happened whilst you were riding, well you probably wouldn't have second thoughts about replacing it.
Safety first I guess.

Weather it's their or Aus posts fault you are still entitled to recieve a brand new item in brand new condition.