Break bead to refill tubeless sealant?

MdMa

Cannon Fodder
Big noob here...

If it matters, I've got Stans No Tubes ZTR ARCH EX 29er rims with Schwalbe Nobby Nic EVO Snake Skin tyres.

I've watched a number of videos now on how to refill tubeless tyres; some break the bead, whilst some just refill from the valve.

Why would I go through all the trouble of breaking the bead and then having to reseat it; is there any benefit to this?

wavike

Likes Dirt
I'm far from an expert on this, but I always break the bead so i can clean out the old sealant before adding new. Sometimes there's a ball of sealant and other times it's still liquid.

Ivan

Eats Squid
It is difficult to check how much sealant is left in the tyre, and therefore the minimum amount of sealant you need to add, without popping the bead. Also, I have had presta valve body's clog up with sealant in the past so I avoid pushing in sealant through the valve body.

I don't have any trouble popping the bead or re-seating it like some people do, so its just as easy for me to do it that way.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Always through the valve if it has a remove able core - get a big syringe to do it. People without the syringe have to break the bead then use a compressor

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Break bead, inspect, marvel at the goobers and add if needed, don't if not. A cheap compressor from supercrap is similar in cost to an airshot.

mark22

Likes Dirt
Break bead, inspect, marvel at the goobers and add if needed, don't if not. A cheap compressor from supercrap is similar in cost to an airshot.
I'm with this you can use the compressor for other stuff around the garage too.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
If you use soapy water you don't need a compressor to re-seat the bead or install a tubeless tyre. I've got a compressor, but it's been sitting around unused for over a year while I've installed tons of tyres using just a floor pump.

In my experience, it takes less faffing around to just rip 6" of tyre off the rim, check sealant and top up if necessary, and whack it back on/pump up to desired PSI. In this scenario 95% of the tyre bead is already seated, so it's not like starting from scratch.

Joe_MTB

Likes Dirt
I break the bead and pour in what I need. Normally if the tyre has been seated before then it goes back on with a track pump, no compressor needed.
Plus I've currently got a bunged up valve so it means I can go in and clean it out

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Through the valve, if you have takeoutable cores. No need to bother with a syringe, yesterday grab a squeezy bottle, like a cheapo sauce bottle.

I use one of these, as I already have one...
...makes it easy to add 2oz every time.

If you're pumping up your tyres after refilling, the air will clear the valve of sealant. If your valves are gumming up, it's more likely the way you leave your wheels, I try to remember to store mine with the valve at 6 o'clock.

#knuckleswasadrunkenchunt

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
I've only ever needed a compressor to seat tubeless once. I top up
sealant every 6 months or so via the valve. Tyre don't last me long enough to have issues with goo balls.
I use a squeeze bottle for the sealant, it's so clean and tidy. You don't need to turn the bottle upside down. Just give it a good shake prior to use.

Flow-Rider

Burner
What sealant are you blokes using ? I was buying Rubena from ebay cheaply in the large bottles but seems to be none around.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
What sealant are you blokes using ? I was buying Rubena from ebay cheaply in the large bottles but seems to be none around.
I'm using Rubena too, I think it's much better than Stans. It stays liquid longer and no booger balls.

I'm about half way through my bottle. Post up here please if you find a new source.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I'm using Rubena too, I think it's much better than Stans. It stays liquid longer and no booger balls.

I'm about half way through my bottle. Post up here please if you find a new source.
I'm hesitant to use Stans as I've seen it blister quite a few Maxxis tyres where it seals a hole.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
I'm hesitant to use Stans as I've seen it blister quite a few Maxxis tyres where it seals a hole.
I've seen a recent (small) blister starting to appear around a hole repair. Wasn't aware that it was caused by the sealant?
Is this a common issue?

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

moorey

call me Mia

My mate couldn't get rubena to seal up, was too watery (non tubeless tyres). I banged in some stans race goo, and it stopped immediately. Never experienced this blistering you talk of :noidea:

Flow-Rider

Burner
I've seen a recent (small) blister starting to appear around a hole repair. Wasn't aware that it was caused by the sealant?
Is this a common issue?

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk
A bloke that I've ridden with for over a year has had about 4 tyres fail this way. I don't know if they didn't follow the directions but it was done by a well known bike shop. The last time it happened the LBS told him that they wouldn't use it any more. You can see a red cordial stain from the original hole then it gets between the layers of the tyre and makes it blister.

Flow-Rider

Burner
My mate couldn't get rubena to seal up, was too watery (non tubeless tyres). I banged in some stans race goo, and it stopped immediately. Never experienced this blistering you talk of :noidea:
If you spin the tyre it seals up, if you hold the puncture towards the bottom it just keeps on pissing out sealant.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
A downside of topping up sealant without taking the tyre off that I've seen first hand is not knowing how much sealant is left in there and ending up with far too much and wondering why the wheels weigh a ton. A friend had been doing that and when the tyre finally had to be replaced, there was a good 500 mls of sealant in there, adding up to about 1kg of rotating mass (front and rear)!

Tubeless should be significantly lighter than tubes, but not when there's far too much goo sloshing around in there... It only takes 50 - 75 mls to do the business.

moorey

call me Mia
If you spin the tyre it seals up, if you hold the puncture towards the bottom it just keeps on pissing out sealant.
I know this, cheers, running many tubeless sets, but the Rubena simply wouldn't seal up after 30 min of spinning, topping up, spinning..... Stans stopped it immediately