Breaking spokes

duncans

Squid
I've broken a spoke in my rear wheel for the 4th time. Each time a spoke has broken its been at slow speed going up hill (no bump involved).
Wheel is Shimano WHR580 (bike has Ultegra gear, so assume wheel is similar level/standard wheel). Its only done about 5.5K km.

What are people thoughts on what I should do:
- respoke the wheel
- unwind all spokes a bit and see what happens
- give up and just get another wheel

I've been waiting over a months for spare parts already so I'm tempted to go for another wheel that I can get parts easily for - I hate being off the road.

Thanks.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Either a rebuild or new wheel...depends on which is cheaper. The problem with propritory components is they normally charge a bomb for them ala' Mavic.
The fact you are up to 4 means that the wheel is seriously unbalanced in terms of tension which places additional stress on the remaining spokes.

alexb618

Likes Dirt
entry level shimano road wheels are terrible for flex and spoke breakage

i would recommend spending $300 on a set of fulcrum 7s, you will have no more wheel problems

a.davis12

Likes Bikes and Dirt
entry level shimano road wheels are terrible for flex and spoke breakage

i would recommend spending $300 on a set of fulcrum 7s, you will have no more wheel problems
except they will be no better than the shimanos and the pawls will stick.
but yeah, do that!

duncans

Squid
Thanks guys. Hopefully I can get hold of the nipple I need ASAP to get the wheel straight and bike on the road and I'll also look around for a new wheel.

Dumbellina

Likes Dirt
The same happened to me with a Shimano R500 wheel - breaking spokes after <500 km of riding.

I am now riding $400 Mavic Askium Race - same design as higher end fad wheels for less coin

alexb618

Likes Dirt
except they will be no better than the shimanos and the pawls will stick.
but yeah, do that!
i 'palped' a set for probably 10,000km of training

never went out of true and no hub issues

i abused the shit out of them

fulcrum hubs are campagnolo incase anyone didnt know

a.davis12

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i 'palped' a set for probably 10,000km of training

never went out of true and no hub issues

i abused the shit out of them

fulcrum hubs are campagnolo incase anyone didnt know
:eek:you had a good set then!
ive seen 6 sets in the last 3 months all munted.

Last edited:

troublemaker

Likes Bikes
I,m no wheel expert, but here it goes,,,I'm a tight arse racer, even though there is truth and fact to comments above, you really should consider your own style of ridin & aplication of power. Number of spokes, your weight/power... condition of road,tyre size/psi.

I've only ever broken two spokes [ lucky me ]
1st on a 2nd hand racer,,,
Cause km.s unknown,,,,, Rims, cheap 36 hole,,,novice racer on rough road
Rectification,,,,relaced with new spokes, 7years on still running on trainer with acasional home truing.
2nd on track bike
Cause dual sided hub [spokes cop it both directions],,,,,,,track, very agressive accelerating[ with85kg rider],,,wheel was 3yr old. <simular to your hill climb.
These days I have alright gear, low spoke count. but my ridin style has changed big time such as,,higher cadence which will lessen shock to the hub,,,I climb seated, again at higher cadence and in circles as much as possible[not stomping],,, and when it comes to closing a gap, I aproach this like fishing for big pound fish on small pound line same as for sprints.
I've seen simular probs to yours with people I know, which leaves me to this explanation. its probably not the answer your after but products are designed with limitations, maybe you are pushing the bounderies.
eg. race cars are built to get across the finnish line, and no further.
ask any veteran rider racer. & I'm sure they'll say 36 spoke for longevity,,,but if you want faster lighter?????

Last edited:

mtb1611

Seymour
The same happened to me with a Shimano R500 wheel - breaking spokes after <500 km of riding.

I am now riding $400 Mavic Askium Race - same design as higher end fad wheels for less coin
I've had a pair of the same wheels (Aksiums) for about 2500km now, no dramas whatsoever. I don't race, but ride some fairly ordinary roads, 81kg rider.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
My girlfriend managed to snap 2 spokes on an Shimano R550s and she weighs little over 55kilos. Lower level Shimano wheels are crap.

If you just want a set of wheels that will last practically forever with little trouble then you can't go past these Hope Hoops http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=38867.

The hubs are Hope Pro3s modeled on the Pro 2s with 4 pawls and labryinth sealed bearings. 32 hole Mavic Open Pros means they will practically never snap a spoke or need truing. And all for ~$380 + postage!

Nuff said.